Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Reflecting on 2006

I have stated before that I am not a meme person, but a sweet old friend who keeps up with my family via the blog drove through town yesterday and said, "I know what's going on with the kids from the blog. How are YOU?"
So, here it is. A post all about MY 2006.
1. What did you do in 2006 that you’d never done before? Renovated a kitchen, Survived swimming lessons with reluctant 2 year olds, cried over a tutu, attempted potty training 3 toddlers simultaneously, been vomited on, learned about poop painting first hand, learned a new name for boogers, experienced the feeling of a dead frog between my toes, and felt love and gratitude I never knew was possible...Isn't my life glamorous?
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don't make New Year's resolutions because I feel like we should always be dealing with improving ourselves and not just wait for a day on the calendar.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No, but this year my best friend and my sister-in-law are both expecting.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Thankfully, no.
5. What countries did you visit? None, unless you count my occasional visits to "crazy land." ;-)
6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006? More patience & more quiet time with God. (maybe there is a connection!)
7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? This is a hard one...hmmm..not sure.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Learning to laugh at myself more and letting go of my idea that there is a Super Mom. (This is definitely still in progress.)
9. What was your biggest failure? Being impatient with my children and not showing my husband enough appreciation. I also REALLY should be exercising and having regular quiet times--Every couple of weeks I resolve to do better, to no avail...uggh!
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nothing major.
11. What was the best thing you bought? My new magnetized accountability system for the children. I bought it 2 weeks ago and it has DRASTICALLY improved the whiny attitudes around here.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My husband. I make the same mistakes over and over. I apologize and seek forgiveness over and over. He is patient, loving and kind.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? My toddlers, then mine...However, there has been more than enough laughter to help me forget those moments.
14. Where did most of your money go? Savings
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? I am very passionate about the 2 ministries I am very involved with here, Young Life and a shelter for abused and neglected children.
16. What song will always remind you of 2006? "You are Good" by Nichole Nordeman (and the ABC song)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer? a) Happier b) Same c) Richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Quiet times
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Trying to rationalize with toddlers
20. How did you spend Christmas? With family. It was wonderful.
21. Did you fall in love in 2006? More deeply in love with my little family
22. What was your favorite TV program? I have 2: Grey's Anatomy & American Idol
23. What was the best book you read? Since I am quite sure children's books don't count, I probably shouldn't answer, but I really want to finish reading "Your God is Too Safe" by Mark Buchanan. I started it when we went to the beach in May.
24. What did you want and get? My life.
25. What did you want and not get? There was a girl in my Bible Study at the shelter that I really felt like God was leading us to foster. We started the training classes back in the Spring and found that it was just not the right time in our lives to take on another child. God was completely in the middle of the situation, because the experience led she and another child to new placements (with women in my "grown up" Bible Study). Although it is not what I thought I wanted, clearly God was involved and it was what it should have been!
26. What was your favorite film this year? I have not seen a movie this year.
27. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you? I had a wonderful birthday with my family and friends--32!
28. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? A closer walk with Jesus.
29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006? Jeans and solid colored tops. This has been my concept for a long time!
30. What kept you sane? Praying, talking and blogging. It's all about communication for me.
31. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? ???
32. What political issue stirred you the most? State politics related to the Department of Family and Childrens Services. See #15. This year I was actually stirred enough to talk to a Senator, a State Rep and write several letters to others in positions of influence.
33. Who did you miss? Friends I have lost touch with.
34. Who was the best new person you met? There are a few bloggers that I KNOW I would hang out with in real life if we lived closer--and I have enjoyed getting to know Gwen a lot better in real life. She is amazing!
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006. Deep breaths, prayer and a sense of humor go a long way towards making motherhood more enjoyable.
36. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. "With every breath I take in, I'll tell You I'm grateful again. When the moon climbs high before each kiss goodnight, You are good."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am a frequent visitor of your blog, and love it. i have posted once before. My name is Julia and I have 17 month old triplet girls and live in SC. I love reading your posts and seeing what we have to look forward to. You seem like a wonderful woman and a fabulous mom! I wanted to ask you... what is the magnetized accountability system for the children, you are talking about? Would you mind emailing me at juliapratt@hargray.com.

Jennifer said...

I responded to Julia, but FYI this is the chart I am using. (link at bottom) It was purchased at Toys R Us for $19.95. I put 80% of the pieces away and am just using 4-5 major categories that are age appropriate for us: Use the Potty, Be Nice, Share toys, Put Toys Away, No Whining
I assigned each child a certain color/themed round magnet (balloons, smiley face & stars) I am not using the days of the week, I start with a clean slate each day. When I "catch someone doing the right thing" they get a magnet. If they are doing the wrong thing I take a magnet away and put it in the "doghouse." It is definitely NOT rocket science, but has been so awesome because it reminds me to equally reward good behavior and enforce a consequence of bad behavior. Severe infractions still result in time out, but for the most part this is my first line of defense. I feel like a much more pleasant Mom. The kids take "gettin' a mag-a-net" VERY seriously.
I was thinking I might reward a certain number of magnets at the end of the week, but honestly, it is not necessary...the recognition has done the trick so far!
I hope this helps. If you want me to take a picture of my board as I am using it I will, I think my description may be a little lacking.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Magnetic-Responsibility-Chore-Chart-by-Melissa-Doug_W0QQitemZ300058465760QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Renee said...

Great, I was wondering the same thing! And I loved reading about YOU. I've been learning that taking time for ourselves as mommies is so important. I enjoy getting to know you as a person and as a mommy. Hope 2007 is just as wonderful and full of blessings as 2006.

Alison said...

Fabulous list! Thanks for sharing about yourself!

Wendy said...

Fun to read this. Jeans and solid color tops, that is me too.

Girl Raised in the South said...

Too much I loved in this post to remember it all here. Same favorite TV shows, loved that you didnt see a single movie, went to crazyland, you sound like one phenomenal mom. Esp since you probably dont think so yourself.oxox

Sarah said...

I LOVED reading this! What a great bunch of info about you--I'm very impressed that you spoke to a Senator and wrote letters!!