Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Life Skills List for Young Adults

Last week over lunch my husband and I realized we were almost exactly 200 weeks from our triplets' high school graduation. To cope with the panic we felt at all the life skills they needed to know before we launched them into the world we started making a list. 

Because social media at its best is a quick way to crowdsource ideas, I posted on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook asking for suggestions. 


The list that follows is by no means exhaustive--and absolutely will need to be tailored according to life circumstances--but in case it helps, I am sharing the list we developed. 



In the last week, I realized that simply being intentional about inviting my kids into the work I was already doing crossed many things off the list. (Other things are going to require me to develop some proficiency before I attempt to teach ;-)

I received excellent comments that covered the spiritual, emotional and character traits we also hope to develop but didn't feel they fit within the framework of practical checklist type skills/conversation topics I was considering for this particular list.

Hope this inspires your own thoughts, conversations and lessons!

Note: The formatting of this was a challenge for me so I used screen shots to capture all in one place. Maybe I should add this as a life skill ;-) The link to to the google doc is a better option for a clean, formatted and up-to-date list. 















5 comments:

Good Character said...

Thanks a lot for sharing with us this life skills list for young adults. This list is too much important to us.

Tracy Waye Kelly said...

Came looking for my Aspie teen, very comprehensive list, thank you !!!

Unknown said...

* Accepting when a woman says no
* using a paper clip, stapler, 3-hole punch
* recognizing online ads
* avoiding scams
* protect private information and online reputation
* choosing gifts
* self-defense
* small talk
* test/change fuse in car
* go to auto parts store/shop for parts online
* Water safety / how to swim
* set a thermostat
* Take your temperature
Use a cooking thermometer
* natural disaster preparedness
* scan and upload documents
* anti-virus software
* computer maintenance - delete cookies, defragment, etc.
* dry cleaning
* sex trafficking, domestic/date violence, sexual harassment
* jury duty, search warrants
* doubling/halving a recipe
* add coolant
* when to go to emergency room

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for such a valuable resource!

Cooper said...

Love this list!!! Thank you 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽