Monday, January 01, 2007

Funny, but not for the faint of heart

This actually happened a couple of weeks ago, but I decided not to blog about it. I have told this story to a couple of friends this weekend who convinced me that I should write it down for posterity despite the fact that is is gross... You have been warned.

A couple of Sunday afternoons ago I started experiencing some nausea. It was that kind of feeling where you just want to lay down because any movement aggravated the nausea. Daddy watched the children that afternoon while I rested, but he had a Deacon meeting to attend at 6pm. So, I pulled myself together and tried to get the children settled for dinner. The mere smell of food was enough to send me running to the bathroom, but I was unable to vomit.

I sat across the room from the children while they ate a very random dinner (the menu was decided completely based on what foods produced the least repulsive smells.) After dinner, I decided the best thing for me would be to try to induce vomitting. I have not thrown up in 10 years, but I was convinced I would feel immensely better if I was succcessful.

I put the children in front of a video and excused myself. Of course, I had company. K & R followed me to the bathroom asking, "What doin' Mom-ma?" I explained that I needed some privacy then turned and gagged. Nothing happened, but I immediately heard gagging behind me and turned to see R wretching. On his second wretch he showered my leg with his dinner.

That did it for me. Suddenly I was also wretching, but because I had snatched R up and put him in front of the potty, the only place I had to go was the tub.

When the whole scene was over, R and I both felt great. Poor K, who had witnessed the whole repulsive scene stood staring with eyes as big as saucers. She then said, "R bomit on da fwoor. Mom-ma bomit in da baff-tub. I no bomit."

I am afraid she has been a bit scarred by the experience, because every day since she has said to me during some random part of the day, "Mom-ma? You need to bomit in da baff-tub today?"

16 comments:

sara said...

I don't know how I found your blog- but I enjoy the stories!!! Very cute!

Ivey's Mom said...

Too funny.. Just give me a call when you are having days like those! You have definately earned a little of my time!

Perri said...

OH that is too funny. And it would do it for me too. Hearing it is all that is necessary for me to be doing it.

Whitney said...

Thanks for the laugh tonight - I needed it! Hope you had a great New Year's!

Whitney

Paula said...

You poor thing. I HATE being sick. I agree that getting it over with is always the best. I just hate it had to come after one of the children did it on you. Kate has a strong stomach. I wouldn't have made that one.

I hope your sick spell is over. It is hard when mommy's are sick!

Sandi said...

Glad you decided to include it. I have a similar tale when I was pregnant with my second child and my twins bring it up all the time. LOL Kids are so cute!

Sarah said...

You know you're a mother when you can't even vomit in private :)

I hope you're feeling better! (And really, you haven't thrown up in TEN YEARS? That's amazing!!)

Alison said...

That is most unfortunate but glad you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Bwahahahaha...that was TOO funny! I couldn't stop LOL-ing with pictures of cutie pie Kate's saucer eyes and reactions. What a memory to keep even at times when you felt sick! And Ryguy, WOW! he sure is sensitive in every "sense" as well!!! Thanks for sharing this, it's great! (it didn't make me bomit, i only laffed and snorted a lot.)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you felt so bad,and for the mess you had to deal with, but this story did make us all laugh. Oh, I just love reading what you write. By the way, what did the children choose for their Dad's "random" Christmas gifts?

Jennifer said...

Melene- Daddy received a bag of birdseed, silly putty and one of those games you put water in and then press the button to try to ring the net. The toys were repossessed by the giftgivers immediately.
The children got me equally random gifts: some snowman spreaders, a 3 foot tall stuffed Daisy and a 4 foot tall candycane (anybody watch Noggin?)

Garrett Robinson said...

I have been following your blog, and this is the funniest story yet (and there have been some close contenders)

brooks_cc_mom said...

Jen,
This story made me laugh too hard. We just returned from a trip to Panama. The last time we were there I was pregnant with CC and very sick. We rode a bus to a resort in the Canal for a boat trip to feed the monkeys. As soon as the bus stopped, I had to run and vomit. Brooks remembered this incident because when we went back to the resort this time with CC, he pointed out where the infamous vomiting took place! Kids:) I hope your're feeling better and Happy New Year!
Maria

Laura said...

Too funny!

btw, I figured out the title issue we were having on our blogs. Go to the dashboard, then settings, then formatting and scroll to an option that says "Show title field"...make it say YES

That should do it =)

keri said...

what, no pictures with this post!? :)
this sounds horrible!

Andi said...

Okay- I'll admit that I snorted with laughter here! Too funny. Glad both of you are feeling better.A