Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Amazing Grace

I am tired. I am tired from all of the hurt I see in the faces of people I care about lately. I am walking through an exhausting season that is fraught with pain for several people I know. Much of it is a result of sin.

1-2Where do you think all these appalling wars and quarrels come from? Do you think they just happen? Think again. They come about because you want your own way, and fight for it deep inside yourselves. You lust for what you don't have and are willing to kill to get it. You want what isn't yours and will risk violence to get your hands on it.
2-3You wouldn't think of just asking God for it, would you? And why not? Because you know you'd be asking for what you have no right to. You're spoiled children, each wanting your own way. James 4:1-3 The Message

Daily I find myself torn between grace and truth...mercy and justice. And I keep going back to that darn dog in the road last Tuesday. I didn't evaluate how he got there, what negligence or poor choices led to his getting into the road, whose fault it was...I was simply moved to compassion because a creature was in pain (honestly, the helplessness and hurt on the face of his owner was what moved me most). I believe in natural consequences, but when someone/something is hurting and you have the power to help compassion takes the reigns.

Isn't this the way Jesus operated? With the woman at the well, the woman caught in adultery, even the hosts that ran out of wine at the wedding in Cana. He didn't lead with "how did this happen?" or "what have you learned?" He showed them compassion in the moment and He met their needs. I am sure there was time later for evaluation of the circumstances, repentance and learning a lesson... Even as I type, the justice seeker in me cries (like the prodigal's older brother) "Is that really fair? How will they learn if responsible people (like me) keep bailing them out?" And suddenly I am blinded by my own foolish pride.

I am sinful. God's grace is HIS to freely give. By virtue of accepting His gift do I now somehow feel that it is my role to decide who else is worthy of it? How incredibly prideful! I am not the judge and jury.

4-6You're cheating on God. If all you want is your own way, flirting with the world every chance you get, you end up enemies of God and his way. And do you suppose God doesn't care? The proverb has it that "he's a fiercely jealous lover." And what he gives in love is far better than anything else you'll find. It's common knowledge that "God goes against the willful proud; God gives grace to the willing humble."James 4:4-6 The Message

Truth be told we are all addicts--addicted to our own comfort. We are all adulterers--choosing the things of the world over God on a whim--time and time again. We are idolaters--who place our own dreams, ideals, plans ahead of those of our Creator. And He pursues us anyway. It's incredible.
"God is not proud...He will have us, even though we have shown that we prefer everything else to Him." C S Lewis
7-10So let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet yes to God and he'll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master; it's the only way you'll get on your feet. James 4: 7-10 The Message

So, tonight, instead of judging the worthiness of others to receive His grace, I am challenged to ponder my own unworthiness--and rejoice in my thankfulness that He loves me--in spite of myself.

11-12Don't bad-mouth each other, friends. It's God's Word, his Message, his Royal Rule, that takes a beating in that kind of talk. You're supposed to be honoring the Message, not writing graffiti all over it. God is in charge of deciding human destiny. Who do you think you are to meddle in the destiny of others? James 4:11-12 The Message

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I needed to hear this today. How many times have I appointed myself judge and jury? Too many. This is something I struggle with daily. Thanks for your post.

Marti said...

Thanks you for your words. The tongue is a powerful instrument that can be used for good and evil. I pray that every word that I say will be to His honor.