Tuesday, November 01, 2011

On the Way

Tuesday afternoons are insane in our family this Fall. Immediately after dismissal from school P has Occupational Therapy and R has Speech. We have a 45 minute window to snack, complete homework and change before the race to get K to soccer, R to football and P to Kung Fu. There is quite literally not a moment to spare.

This afternoon as I was zipping from place to place, trying to make every second count, we literally had a neighbor in need right smack in our path. A few blocks from my home there is an apartment building occupied by low income individuals. Directly in front of their entrance there was a injured dog in the road--it was clear he had just been hit. Gathered around him were four distraught women, including the one who had accidentally hit him.

I pulled the car over, rolled down the window and asked if they needed help. They explained that they had no car and no way to move the injured dog. They had called Animal Control, but didn't have a plan beyond getting him moved from the road. The dog was conscious and alert despite his bleeding leg and tail. His owner, who seemed quite simple, was literally frozen. She did not ask for help. Honestly, I don't think she could think beyond that moment to what she might need.

I had every excuse in the world to wish them luck and keep driving. We were late. They were strangers. I didn't want a bloody dog in my new car. An injured animal can be unpredictable and dangerous. I had a car full of kids. What if the dog didn't make it? Was I really ready to take this on...

The words I had used to encourage my ladies' small group this morning echoed in my ears...Don't be so busy and distracted that you miss the opportunities to minister along the way in your daily life. It doesn't have to be Earth-shattering. Look for the small ways to minister where you are with what you have.

"I live around the corner and I have a kennel to transport him in," I offered.
The kids and I darted home, loaded up the kennel and returned. (My wanna be vet, K, was quite concerned and completely into it...the boys, not so much.) Along the way we called our vet who got ready for us. When we returned to the scene, the ladies had found a blanket to lift the dog with and before we knew it the canine was safely kenneled and my suburban animal ambulance was in motion.

The dog's owner, Lynette, and the apartment manager joined us for the excursion to the veterinarian. Along the way, Lynette told us about 'her baby,' BoBo, who is apparently the apartment mascot. It was clear he was well loved. We were all hopeful it was just a badly broken leg.

Once they were settled at the animal hospital and had contacted a friend for transportation, the children and I left to return to our afternoon activities. The apartment manager thanked me for the ride and explained that this was just the latest in a long line of recent troubles for Lynette.

On the way home I talked to my trio about loving our neighbors, the good Samaritan and the golden rule.

We also talked about the sacrifice. The time spent on the rescue mission should have been used for homework. It was too late tonight after sports, so we'll have to get up a little earlier tomorrow to finish it up before school. It was a small price to pay for a real life lesson in serving the needy.

Sadly, an hour later we got a call that BoBo had not made it. His injuries had simply been too extensive. As I told K tonight at bedtime her little lip quivered. Then she said. "Well, it is a good thing his owner got to pet his head and be with him so he wouldn't be scared. I bet she is really sad."

I reminded her (but, frankly, moreso myself) that we did all we could. We had the means to help someone who needed it--so we responded. Only God knew what the outcome was going to be. Our role may have never even been about saving the dog, as much as it was about showing unexpected kindness to someone who needed it. Maybe Lynnette just needed to know she was not alone in the world.

My friend Mike Sweeney used to teach a lesson about leaving space in our lives for the opportunities we have to minister while we are on our way somewhere else. He cites the story of the hemorrhaging woman (Luke 8:41-48). As the story begins, Jesus was en route to heal Jairus' daughter but "as he was on the way" he encountered this needy woman. He could have easily shrugged her off. He was on an important mission to save a child, after all. But instead, he paused to hear her need and offer hope and healing.

And I am left with an indelible lesson that I will think about every time I pass this spot down the street. How many other needs do I encounter 'along the way' every day that God might be nudging me to engage? The woman in the grocery store, the Mom in car line, the familiar face that is clearly upset and/or worried, the person I have heard the sad gossip about...All too often I look away and cross the street. Oh, the opportunities I am missing! In this broken world, there are many. Some will be messy. Most will be inconvenient.

If I am really going to be intentional about being salt and light, I need to leave space to rearrange my schedule and be available to notice the needs right in my path.

So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him.
Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out.
Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it.

Romans 12:1-2a The Message

14 comments:

Amanda said...

LOVE! My heart needed this tonight. I am one who also looks away too often and praying I can minister to others in the everyday ordinary.

Elizabeth said...

I really needed to hear this tonight. Thank you for posting!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this story. Such a good reminder for me - I'm sure the priest and the Levite had really good reasons why they didn't have "time" to stop and help the beaten man in the parable Jesus tells. Lord help me to see what's important through your eyes...

The Burgess Family said...

I always feel that I am running a race between my children, my husband, work and other responsibilities. I really feel that God spoke through you with these words. Thank you so much for sharing. It was a very important reminder for me to take time to be in touch with my surroundings and to see how I can help someone.

cchhbb said...

Hello,

I really appreciate your blog and admire your family and the moral standards you set.

This if off topic from the above post but I wonder if you have any thoughts on the trend of "entitlement" that seems to happen to so many lately. I follow several blogs (Christian women) and one in particular rubs me the wrong way. The family has lived above their means in the few short years they have been married which has resulted in loosing three houses. Each move was to a bigger, more expensive house, and two of the three went to foreclosure and the last one back to the bank. They are now declaring bankruptcy and blame it on the economy. They also took many vacations, bought an expensive vehicle which they stopped payments on, expensive household furnishings, boat, atv and much more. Many of the blogger supporters go along with this attitude which really bothers me. I have never felt you and your husband take anything for granted and you seem to be fiscally and morally responsible and set a good example for your children and others
While they finally are starting to realize their mistakes they still seem to want to justify their still non-essential purchases and as I see it ,many of their followers still think this is ok. I fear their many small children will learn that sense of entitlement also.
Sorry for the long comment but I would like your thoughts on this sense of entitlement and putting the blame on the government or others that seems to be such an alarming trend now. My husband and I always paid our bills first which meant many, many years without any luxuries and lots of hard work but we have pride in knowing we paid what was owed others and have passed that example on to our children.

Kelly said...

Such a beautiful example! Love the way you listened to the Holy Spirit and obeyed the prompting to stop andhelp, depsite the many obvious excuses to pass on. Inspires me.

Jenn said...

Your post blessed me today! Thank you for being the hands and feet of Jesus to these women.

dee said...

Thank you for the reminder,J. I needed it in the midst of college application season with a senior! We have been busy, but not that busy. What a blessing you guys were to a stranger dealing with a sad situation. It made me cry just thinking about how she probably felt and how much she must have appreciated the help.

The Flukers said...

Love this! As Springer always says," Don't pass by ministry on the way to do ministry." Almost did that tonight on the way to church (and of course, running late) then remembered your post and was able to swing by to help a friend in need. Thanks for the reminder.

Jennifer said...

cchhbb- I tried to respond directly through your profile and was unable to, so I hope you see this. I am praying about what you posted. I agree with you in so many respects--but frankly, as a person who is in a favorable financial position currently, I fear anything I have to say/write will be discounted but those in a more difficult situation as 'easy for you to say.'
I do believe that we are called to be responsible stewards, to give generously and cheerfully and to live within (beneath) our means. I am going to continue to pray about when/if God would lay it on my heart to write more on this. Thanks for the thought provoking post.

Brooke said...

I've recently started reading your blog and enjoy it. Thanks for sharing this today. Such a beautiful reminder of being the hands and feet of Jesus...
-Brooke
www.bedtimeyet.com

cchhbb said...

JMom.
Just to clarify some, I truly do feel empathy for people in hard financial times not of their own doing. The economy has hit many of us and I realize it only takes one unexpected bill to dig a deep hole. I was referring to some bloggers who put their daily lifestyle out there and many of us can see where they are heading with their careless spending. It catches us with them and they put all the blame on everything but themselves. I just feel that the message being given is do what you want, (trips, house upgrades, expensive luxuries, etc.) and don't worry about saving. I also understand declaring bankruptcy can be the only means to start over for some, but they should change their spending habits and not use that as a means to keep the lifestyle they feel entitled to.
Job losses, medical bills etc. are tough for everyone and that is not what I am referring to. It is the sense of entitlement so many feel and that message is getting out there with the internet, television and social media. Many of the blogs are read by young people in other countries less fortunate than ours and they are forming their opinions and ideals from the blogs. Just watch some of the real estate shows where so many young couples want granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, big garages, private spa baths, multiple baths, etc. They turn their noses up on houses like so many of us live in. I just wish there were better role models for our children and better examples of living within your means. As a Christian I feel I should not promote the excessive lifestyle and thought this blog, along with some other blogs, might give me some encouragement in trying to caution young families to not fall into the lifestyles thrown at them by advertisers as money is at the bottom of all of this.

J & A said...

I loved this post but was taken a bit aback by your coming right out with the 'apartments occupied by low-income individuals' part. Was that really necessary? Did it contribute in any way to the story or the resolution? I think this smacked (most likely unintentionally) of elitism especially in light of the fact that you did stop to be a good Samaritan (no doubt a wonderful lesson for us all, however!).

I don't know. I love your blog, your kids, your outlook, and your commitment to the Truth, but sometimes your words strike me oddly. I hope this doesn't come off as overly critical. I'm sure I'm making too much out of nothing. Blessings to you and yours.

Jennifer said...

I appreciate the feedback. Honestly, I included that part as a descriptor and to better paint a picture of the situation...especially to explain why there were no cars/access to transportation and limited access to kennel, vet, etc. I apologize if it was offensive.