Thursday, March 17, 2022

A Prayer of Release

A friend sent this to me recently and I have re-read it daily. I decided to record it here for easy access (and in case it blesses anybody else!) I tried to find a source, and it appears it was taken from a 30-year-old book called Prayer Portions by Sylvia Gunter.  What a reminder that through the decades humans have struggled with the same root desires! 

The person who texted it to me referred to it as a Declaration of Release. Even the title convicts me to loosen my grip in faith and trust. May we trust the Lord to keep that which we already committed Him at the time of their baptism/dedication! ("...I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day." 2 Timothy 1:12)

"Because Jesus Christ is my Lord, 
I free you from my anxiety, fears, and control.
I trust the Holy Spirit to lead you and show you the way that is right for you, the way of love, joy, peace, and all that salvation includes. 
I place you at God’s throne of grace. 
I cannot force my will on you. 
I cannot live your life for you. 
I give you to God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. 
As much as I love you, God loves you more. 
Your life today is totally in His hands, and I trust Him with it. 
I release you from my expectations, I place you on open palms to the Lord. 
I give you my blessings. 
I let you go, in His love." 

It is God who works in you to will and to act according to His good purpose. Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it to completion until the day of Christ Jesus (Phi 2:13, 1:6).

No comments: