Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Snippets

This is VBS week at our church. We are having a terrific time so far--the kids are loving their experience and I am really enjoying teaching the 4-6th graders....but we are beat!

I have heard some very funny comments from my people in the last couple of days and wanted to record a few before I forgot.

Scene I: I was opening a package of ketchup at McDonald's and inadvertently squirted it all over P and unto the wall behind him...
"OH!!! THAT's why they call it FANCY ketchup, 'cause it can do cool tricks!"

Scene II: In my bed around 6am, as hubby was getting ready for work and K had climbed into his warm spot.
"Mama? Wanna know my favorite things in the world? Cuddles and you and Daddy."

Scene III: Tonight, as a very grumpy R was being put to bed.
"I know that God is not going to make me an Army man anymore because they have to stay up all night long and that would always make me very crabby. I think I am jus' gonna be a baseball player because they only have to stay up half the night."

Tonight I had a wonderfully ordinary evening. After a strong Summer storm had passed through I was making pork chops and mac & cheese in the kitchen while my trio was gleefully hopping in puddles in the driveway. I had no camera. I snapped a picture in my head instead...this one multi-sensory. The smell of fresh rain intermingled with dinner, the sound of delighted children over the bubbling of boiling water, the sight of their bare, wet feet and legs.

As they shreiked and giggled a smile crossed my face. I felt peace. My children are in a great age and stage. This is a sweet little life.

I reveled in it for just a moment before K & R burst in the backdoor squabbling about something insignificant. Ah, the proverbial record scratching moment reminding me that life is not perfect... But frankly, I am learning to choose to treasure the simple moments that come close enough.

No comments: