Monday, July 11, 2011

When Bad Days are Good

A friend of mine is currently battling cancer for the second time. Friday as she was receiving her second round of chemo, we had her daughter over to play. As we were chatting in her driveway during the pick-up, my children overheard B. mention that the third day after treatment was her 'bad day.'

This afternoon as they were telling me that they missed seeing her children at VBS R said, "Mom, is today their Mom's BAD day?"
I didn't even realize he had heard that Friday, much less retained it.
"Yes, sweetie, it is."
"What does that MEAN, Mama?" K asked from the back.
I explained that the chemotherapy that was busy killing her bad cells (and outwardly causing her hair loss) could also make her feel pretty lousy. The third day after treatment was historically when she felt the worst, so she called it her 'bad day.'
"Well, why don't they just change the medicine," P asked.
A good question.
"Because this yucky medicine is the thing that has the best chance of saving her life. Ms. B. has decided to do something that makes her sick for a little while so that maybe one day she can be better for good."

I love how faithful God is to swoop in and teach my heart through the questions of my children...
"It's like when you get in trouble now for 7 year old things," I explained "Mommy & Daddy take away your DS which feels sad for a while, but it is to teach you something important so you won't make a bigger mistake with worse consequences later."

Each word of my next sentence was a fresh revelation in my heart as I spoke it.
"There are a lot of times in life when we have to do hard things now, so things will be better in the long run."

My mind was racing with examples they aren't yet ready for (saving money, putting off purchases to avoid debt, purity, self control when angry, standing up to what the crowd is doing...)

Friends, when life gets really difficult, don't jump to the conclusion that God isn't on the job. Instead, be glad that you are in the very thick of what Christ experienced. This is a spiritual refining process, with glory just around the corner.
I Peter 4: 12-13 (The Message)

So much of the sanctification process involves 'bad days' for our ultimate good, making K's final comment all the more striking.

"So, its not a TOTALLY bad day, right?"

5 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

Oh Jen Mom...I so needed this tonight.

Mary Lou said...

I think that K summed it up really good, it's not totally a bad day after all...she saw what you were saying.

Hannah said...

I used to read your blog a few years back when I was in more of a blogging habit and have just gotten back into reading blogs again! What a sweet post this is! I love and really need the reminder to be ready in moments like that, trusting God will give me the words to speak his truth into my children's hearts.

Ali said...

I saw the scripture quote was from The Message.

I'd like to buy a NT and OT Message Bible. Which one do you have? Any Message Bibles on Amazon that you would recommend? The Remix? Big print?

I'd love our thoughts! Thanks!

~ Ali

Jennifer said...

Ali- I like to cross reference in the Message for a fresh perspective, but don't use only that translation. For that reason, I love the NIV/Message parallel Bible.