Monday, November 01, 2010

Germs

There is a particularly virulent stomach bug raging through our school. I heard that 2nd grade class was down to only 6 students by the end of the day today. (Not confirmed, lest I start any rumors, reported to me by a 2nd grader.) Nonetheless, I am a wee bit frightened. I HATE THE STOMACH BUG!

This afternoon at gymnastics a Mom next to me commented to someone else that her daughter had missed school today because she "threw up all night." The Mom then added, "but she feels much better now so we thought we'd get out of the house for a bit."

As I watched her leotard clad child bound out into the gym where my children were, I cringed and contemplated whether or not to say anything. Because my children were wrapping up their session, I opted instead to fling open the Purell I keep handy on my key chain and immediately douse my people's hands as I greeted them. I was still standing next to the offending Mom. I am not sure if she got my point.

When we got home it was time for dinner so I sent the children to wash their hands "WITH SOAP."

K, who is currently in a serious phase of 'figuring life out,' came out of the bathroom with a sparkle in her eye.

"I think I know why washing with soap gets rid of the germs. Those germs really don't like the way our soap smells, so they hold their nose. When they hold their nose it makes them let go of holding on to our bodies. When they let go they fall into the water that makes them drown and washes them down the drain! Right, Mommy?"

I love, love, love 6 year old brains!

7 comments:

HW said...

We do not have a bug flying around here yet but I'm dealing with similar frustrations.

Our high school allows the students to exempt out of a final exam if they have a certain grade average in a class and have missed no more than 3 days of school. This means we have teenagers dragging themselves to school sick with all sorts of germs - so they can miss one exam at the end of the semester. It really has me worried about the sickness my daughter is going to pick up... and the sickness she might spread

And on another note, she's missed 3days already for her brother's USMC graduation and now she is absolutely opposed to missing for a doctor's appointment to have an injured finger rechecked because it doesn't seem to be healing well. So it's not been a pleasant few days around here. She's just going to have to accept that she has to take ALL of her exams in December.

I so agree with you - keep your children home if they are ill. Other moms truly appreciate it.

Kate Geisen said...

Teachers appreciate it, too! I can't tell you how many times kiddos have come in with strep blisters in their throat and terribly sore throats even though "mommy gave me medicine before school". It just means we'll all take turns getting sick.

LOVE K's explanation! How precious! :) I tell my students that they need to scrub their hands well to kill the germs, otherwise they just have soapy germs.

Bailey's Leaf said...

Ah yes. The yucky stomach flu. It makes every mother cringe.

x 3? You win. Purell to the rescue! Shame on mamas who bring their sick babies out just to get some time with the big people. I wonder if she would come help you clean if your children were to fall ill from her child's funk.

sl said...

I love K's thinking. priceless. I hope your 3 stay healthy. As a teacher and mom I hated it when parents send their kids to school because the kids wanted to come or because mom had something to do or could not miss work. Sorry for my soapbox!

Liz said...

I sure hope y'all DON'T get sick! I have a girlfriend who lives over in your neck of the woods who had a nasty stomach bug recently that lasted for SEVEN days. I was shocked. Usually the ones we get last 1-2 days max, but SEVEN? Wow!

Joni said...

We have two down. Vomitpalooza through the night.

Beware of the the cooties at school. : (

Joni

Keri said...

Ugh. I have nothing nice to say about moms (or dads) who drag their still-contagious kids out of the house and around other kids. I understand the temptation - believe me, I've been housebound with sick children many times - but seriously, people. Be considerate of others.

Preaching to the choir, I know. I'll step down from my pulpit now...