Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Much Ado

Recently, I found myself in the middle of a difficult situation with a handful of friends. In the interest of brevity, I will spare you all the gory details, but suffice it to say it was a sticky mess of misunderstanding and hurt feelings. It started simply enough--a couple of conversations where assumptions became reclassified as facts.

I am blessed with solid, mature friendships. I try to stay clear of drama, but when I received a phone call implicating me in part of the controversy, I did what I thought was wise--returning to the horses' mouths to clarify. It was awkward and a bit messy. I had to remind myself it was akin to telling someone their zipper is down, uncomfortable initially, but better for everyone in the long run.

For 2-3 days I was miserable. I was sad for the divisiveness, a bit defensive about the part that involved me, concerned for the feelings of those involved and resentful for all the drama that I found myself involved in. Just when I thought the truth had all come out and the dust was beginning to settle so we could all move on, two friends invited me for a conversation the next day. I was perplexed. I thought we had all said our piece and reached a peaceful place. I couldn't imagine what there could still be to talk about. So, my overactive imagination filled in the gaps.

For the next 18 hours, I went to every worst case scenario about what this 'meeting' might involve. I cried. I was nervous. I felt defensive. I read Scripture. I prayed. I rehearsed how I might react to various things they may say. At one point, I even got angry at them for what I anticipated being a case of 'ganging up' on me.

I really care about the people who were asking to meet with me. Had I been foolish? I am pretty self-aware and honest about my weaknesses/mistakes/sin. Did I really have a blindspot that great that I couldn't even conceive of what might necessitate such a meeting?

By the time they arrived at my house the next afternoon, I had put myself through the wringer and come back. I had praise music playing, Scripture handy, an encouraging text from my husband (who had also sent me flowers out of his concern). I had prayed my face off. I was exhausted and just ready for it to be over with.

You can imagine my reaction when we sat down to talk and one of the women announced: "We really just wanted to come sit down with you and check in with you about how your heart is feeling after all this. We want you to know how much we love you and appreciate you."

I waited for the hammer to be lowered. I kept expected a "But...." There was not one. They really were just tender hearted friends following up on what had been an emotionally draining week/situation.

I felt like an idiot. How much time had I wasted? How much energy had I spent? How many emotions (predominantly negative) had I allowed myself to entertain? The Enemy had gotten a foothold in my brain and heart and I had allowed him to have an absolute field day with my insecurities and fears.

Right there, on my living room floor I confessed that to my friends and to my Father.

This was a watershed moment in my adult life---a real life lesson in the danger of borrowing worry and filling in blanks prematurely.

Why are we so apt to do that? After praying about it I decided that for me it all comes back to control. When I do not know what might happen, going through all the worst case scenarios makes me feel somehow more prepared--like nothing can happen that I hadn't already considered. That is a lie. And it is harmful. Not just because of the wasted energy and emotion, but because my relationships were being harmed by my imagination. I had anticipated negative thoughts, feelings and responses that my friends never communicated. In essence, I had a 'fight' without the other side ever uttering a word.

Do I even need to mention that I was especially hormonal when all this was going on?

If there was ever any doubt of the chaos our thought lives can evoke, this was a big bright spotlight exposing an issue for me. As someone who doesn't pursue drama, I sure did manage to conjure some up in my brain.

I am so thankful for a grace-filled Father that picks us up off the floor when we have stumbled over our own two feet and encourages us to learn a lesson and try again.

8 comments:

boomama said...

This is such a good word for me tonight. Thank you. :-)

JenB said...

Thanks you so much for posting this. I needed to read it!

Jennifer Leigh said...

Oh wow! I'm a long-time reader, and I think this is the first time I've commented. Your thoughts and words are so true. I do the exact same thing all the time. I imagine what I will do when my health fails or something awful fails. I've always considered it a weakness in my faith. I love your point about the control issue. That strikes a chord with me. Thanks for sharing your life and lessons learned. :)

Pam said...

Apparently I'm not the only one who resonates with what happened to you.

JMom, I so admire your willingness to bare your soul out here in the blogosphere so that others may learn from what God is choosing to do in your life.

Your perspective always enlightens me to something He wants to teach me as well. Thank you, friend. : )

Bttrfly1976 said...

Thank you so much for your humble honesty. I needed this tonight.

Ally said...

I am so guilty of doing this. I rarely imagine, hope, or pray for the best case scenario. I hadn't thought about that being because I feel more in control when I contemplate the negative outcome, but I think that's a strong possibility. Thank you for sharing.

elizabeth said...

This made feelings of high school creep back up into me. How often I have found myself, or my mouth rather, at fault for something and I actually meant no harm. I would have worried and stewed the same as you, only I don't ever remember the reaction from the friends being this way. So nice that people grow up and can set aside pride to say "I'm sorry" and "I forgive you"..and truly mean it. Thanks for the post!

Lyndsey said...

This was so good for me. Really touched me in a place I definitely can relate. Thank you for sharing!