Sunday, October 31, 2010

A Photography Lesson

We celebrated Halloween yesterday, so today was a rare weekend afternoon with absolutely no agenda. The weather was gorgeous, so we spent the majority of the afternoon outside.

P was completely committed to the idea of hosting an impromptu Halloween party in our front yard today, so around 3pm everyone got on bikes and scooters to canvas the neighborhood issuing verbal invitations. Almost as an afterthought, I packed my camera in hopes of snapping a few shots in front of a nearby tree in its glorious bright orange Fall foliage. My children and I marvel at this tree, located several houses down at the corner of an empty lot, each Fall. The family refers to it as 'Mom's favorite tree.'

After unsuccessfully knocking on a few neighbors' doors, we spent some time playing in the leaves. A neighbor we have never met was blowing leaves off his driveway across the street. He wandered over and offered to take a picture of the whole family. We were a ragtag, t-shirt clad group--not at all prepared for a family portrait sitting. We had just been out killing time on a walk. I didn't have high hopes for the outcome, but I didn't dare turn down his kind offer.

We handed him the camera, and he snapped 5 photos. "Maybe there's something you can use here" he said, as he wished us well and walked away. When I got home and downloaded the photos I couldn't help but laugh...This impromptu snapshot with play clothes, unruly hair and no make-up is my new favorite family photo. Our smiles are relaxed and real. This is a gorgeous Sunday afternoon of unhurried family time.
There is a lesson there--right along the lines of my current theme about naturally occurring moments vs. contrived ones. I feel certain a sitting fee, careful outfit selection and a professional photographer would have had a hard time capturing such authentic smiles.

Truth be told, it helps that my camera has a great lens. There is a lesson there too. So much of my daily happiness depends on the lens I am using to look at my situation. A good (positive, faith-filled) lens can make all the difference between hope and despair.

And even though the photos were good right out of the camera, spending a little extra time processing them through an editing software on the back end converted them to something special. (I cropped out K's bright purple shorts and dirty bare feet. ;-)

Another lesson: Taking time to process (through thought, prayer, wise counsel, rest, new perspective) can truly make a difference in the way we walk through this life. It is my desire to live life as authentically as possible, choose to use a good lens and take the time to patiently process at the end of each day.
I pray the result is a picture of real joy that outshines messy hair!

18 comments:

k and c's mom said...

WOW! Love the shot of your sweet family. You should give the neighbor a copy!

MtnGirl said...

Great pictures - especially the one of your family. It is Awesome!

ChelseaSalomone said...

I will have to agree- that is a GREAT photo. You look like such a genuinely, happy bunch! The background is amazing too. Christmas Card 2K10??

Jenn said...

That is a wonderful family photograph! I love the 5 happy smiles!

Mary Lou said...

One word...Beautiful...He shines thru everyone's face...

Angie said...

I always feel encouraged after reading your posts. And what a gorgeous family photo!

Donna said...

I read your blog all the time and have to take a moment to say thank you! This is a fabulous post!

Jenny said...

Gorgeous family photo!!! You have the most beautiful family--AND I LOVE hearing your heart!!

Kimmy said...

That family picture is definitely a Christmas card photo contender (If you do that sort of thing). It is so genuine!

Lisa said...

Gorgeous pics! The same is true for my family....the less "carefully prepared" the better for our photos. One question: I'm in the market for a camera. Which one do you use? Thanks!

Jessika said...

Beautiful pictures! And thanks for the encouragement to look at life through the right lens-it makes all the difference!

Ashley said...

Beautiful pictures full of so much love, laughter and fun! These are memories made in a moment that fade so fast and I am so glad you have pictures to reflect on! You all look wonderful! Blessings, Ashley

vdavis said...

Beautiful pictures. You couldn't have gotten a better back ground.
See God does provide all.

Kristen said...

Beautiful pictures! Still laughing about your post about the shark that ate your pride!

Jennifer said...

Lisa- I use an older Nikon d70slr that I bought used 6 years ago. Nikon makes such great cameras. Their newer models have even more bells and whistles and greater resolution...I have been very impressed when playing with those that my friends have. I am still pleased with my 'old' version so cannot justify the expense of an upgrade.

Keri said...

That family picture made tears immediately spring to my eyes.

What joy! What love!

Simply stunning.

And as usual, I love your analogies. I'll have to give them some more thought, especially since I've vowed to be more of a "deep thinker" in November after having drifted into the shallow end recently. :-)

Karen in VT said...

Longtime reader but rare commenter (although I find such encouragement and truth in the lessons of faith that you point out in daily life--you are inspiring to me as a mother). I just LOVE this family photo--such genuine smiles and a great 'snapshot' of a family moment. Priceless.

Mandy said...

First time commenter. As an amateur photographer, your analogy really spoke to me. What a great way of putting it!

The picture is wonderful...so easy to see the happiness in the smiles.