Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Ebb & Flow

So, here's the thing I am noticing about parenting...there is an incredible ebb and flow to 'how it is going.' I seem to have a hard time getting into an rhythm. Just when I think things are 'getting easier' we have a really tough day. Likewise, the moment I think we are finally mastering something we experience a humbling setback.

For example, just yesterday my husband remarked at how appreciative and well-mannered the children are, considering their age. He went so far as to say, 'I am so glad we are raising grateful children.' Uh-oh. Words of doom. Pride always comes before the fall.

This morning the children and I were in a doctor's office, which is a stressful situation in and of itself. As we were leaving, the nurse at the check out desk offered each of the children a brightly colored sticker. Two of my three politely thanked the nurse. I prompted the third saying, "What do you say?"
To my shock an horror, his reply was, "MORE! I want three. GIVE ME MORE!"
Oh, yes, what a grateful brood we are raising. Yikes!

I am also finding the sibling squabbles on the rise and my voice seems to carry far less weight unless I am using a yucky tone. Yet, just when I am completely exasperated, a little person will sense my mood and shower me with kisses and 'I love you's.

I decided tonight to reclaim Summer. I am working on a loose daily schedule and have posted our Summer calendar on the refrigerator so the children have something (even if it is just 'the pool') to look forward to each day. I have also allowed each of the children to pick a Summer activity they want to do 'all alone.' K chose dance, P chose tennis and R chose baseball. Now I have the joy of trying to work out the crazy scheduling of it all! We have also instituted solo play time each morning in addition to quiet time in the afternoon. Anything to keep the peace.
:-)

So, what great Summer ideas do you mamas of little ones have to share?

Updated to Add: In the spirit of keeping it really simple, I thought I'd share my attempt today. This morning, over breakfast, I took a piece of note paper and a marker and talked the children through our day. Today's activity is swimming.
8am-Leader selects video (while Mommy dresses)
9am-Gym (I just started this last week...trying to get in a good habit)
10am-Change for the Pool
10:30 Pool
12-Lunch
1-If behavior is good, more pool
2:30-Rest
4-Snack, then outdoor play
6-Dinner
I tried to use simple words and little drawings, then taped it at their level on the fridge. Obviously, this leaves out a lot, like making beds, laundry, cleaning up, etc...but by hitting the high points they seemed excited to know what was in store for the day. Maybe this will even help us work on telling time. We'll see how this method works...

Updated 20 minutes later: This was such a great plan until I looked outside and saw rain, then looked at the forecast and saw that it is going to rain all day. Off to come up with a plan B...

9 comments:

Tara said...

Camp is key for everyone's sanity around here in the summer. We certainly don't do it every week of the summer, but we don't often take more than one week off either. I like that many of the camps around here (especially at Maggie's age) are only 2-3 hours so she's not "booked" all day and still has plenty of time to play, go to the pool, read, or just hang out. And just like you said, a schedule, even if it's loose, is a necessity. We tend to do some sort of water activity every afternoon after rest time, whether that's a trip to the grandparents' pool or a trip to the yard with the sprinkler! My goal for this summer is to give each of the three oldest ones a "Mama and Daddy all to myself" day this summer. We will let them choose their activity and hire a sitter for the day. I can't wait to see what they choose!

Danielle said...

Great idea for Summer scheduling...I'm so going to use that!

I've noticed a rise in silly squabbling too - I like the solo play time idea. We'll definitely give that a try as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Christi said...

I love your idea for scheduling the summer days - even though my boys are home all the time (they've never been to preschool) the summer days are still hard for us.

Thanks for the idea!

Brandy Thixton said...

This summer, our daughter (and other little ones that stay in our home during the day) are doing a "green" project each week that we're home. One week, we'll make recycling bins and learn about sorting the garbage. Another week, we'll plant some grass on little pots in our window seal (a great rainy day project) and talk about how plants help our air. We're planning a worm compost in the backyard and perhaps a new tree somewhere. It doesn't take up a whole lot of time, but it's at least something to keep their minds off the fact that they're "bored."

I love the idea of having a lose schedule. I might try that myself!

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Great tips. I don't have anything to add, since we're still in school mode and my kids aren't much older than yours. (Read: I'm still new to the game.) But I love reading some of the other ideas.

Mandy said...

You are always so inspiring to me. As the mother of four that are home all day since I teach and have the summers off, I know how those unorganized days can drive you crazy. I like your idea to highlight the "fun" things and not overscheduling them either. It would be really neat for our triplets to get together. Mine love looking at yours when I visit your blog. Happy Belated Birthday to R, K, and P! My boys turn 5 in about a month.

Mandy
GA
www.madelinegracefoundation.com

R said...

I HAVE to get out with the children at least once a day. I like to make it my goal to do the following once a week. Since my girls are 2 1/2 ans 6 months, the schedule looks pretty similar every season:

-Story Time at our local library (and they have a Summer Reading Club where they can earn prizes for X-amount of books read)

-a mall play area

-a local park (until it gets uber-hot, which it does quickly here in N. TX)

-errand day, where we schlep all over town to all the places I need to go. if I can condense this into one nightmare of a day, it helps the rest of the week! :0)

-play date with a friend

-go visit a local family member

-we'll be planting flowers in a newly cleared flower bed, and I plan to let our 2 1/2 year old have an active role, which means letting go of landscaping perfectionism :0)

Our 2 1/2 year old also helps me cook dinner each night, and she helps me clean one room a day (letting go of perfecitonism here, too)

And she helps me bathe our baby girl, too!

Betsy said...

Sounds like a plan!

GE is me said...

Wow, as always I'm amazed & inspired.
btw- thanks for leaving the comment on my blog.
How do you decide who gets to be the leader? Does the leader get to choose everything for their day(that has a choice)?
I like seeing how other moms of multiples handle things.
-Gail