Monday, May 26, 2008

Costly Errors

This afternoon the pool was packed, especially in the shallow end. My husband and I spent most of the time sitting in chairs, chatting with friends while keeping an eye on the children. Towards the end of our time, I finally stepped into the ice cold water and almost immediately noticed a little boy, about 18 months old floating face down a few feet to my left. He was not splashing or swimming, just floating motionlessly. He had apparently followed his father and big sister into the pool without their knowledge. He wasn't flailing or making any sounds amidst the chaos of a crowded pool, so no one had noticed. I'll spare you the details, but it all ended well. He was fine. But as I watched his father react with a mixture of regret, humiliation, relief and terror, I couldn't help but think of the close calls in life.

The beginning of Summer, the activities around water and the death of Maria Chapman have all had me on edge regarding the safety of our children. Then tonight, I watched an Oprah episode on Tivo about horrible mistakes that had led to tragic deaths of children. My husband and I were riveted at the heartbreak these families were experiencing as a result of split second decisions that wound up being terrible mistakes. One of the points made over and over was how often we, as human being on this earth, make mistakes--yet most result in close calls and a few leave our lives (or the lives of others) drastically changed.

I think about this a lot in regards to my husband's occupation. He is an excellent, well-trained surgeon. He is careful, thoughtful, serious, deliberate and skilled. He is also human. He is not perfect, yet his profession demands that he be.

As Moms charged with the safety and well-being of little lives, I think of the cost of an ill-placed mistake, distraction or lack of judgment on our part. Then I think about my belief in the Sovereignty of God and the advisement in Scripture that we will have trouble and heartache in this world. It is all too much for me to ponder for too long.

So, I take a deep breath. I place my trust in my God, not myself. I pray for wisdom, discernment, patience and care...This world is a scary place for mortals who love deeply. Be careful out there.

9 comments:

Betsy said...

That is a terrifying story! Thank goodness you saw him!! I'm so glad he's okay.

You are right, we just have to trust God to help us be on guard at every moment!

Unknown said...

Oh, I've thought about this a lot lately. We've had a couple of close calls around here. One is directly related to something I did. I wrote about it mainly because I realized how important it is for me to slow down and really pay attention. It can be so easy to get distracted.

You are certainly right about trusting God.

Glad the story you shared had a happy ending.

Big Mama said...

I've been thinking these same thoughts lately.

Kara said...

I too, have seen a lot of these same stories around the news, reading blogs and on Oprah...I guess that is where our faith comes in! Faith that nothing will happen to our precious children or us AND faith that if something does happen, God will pull us through and be by our side every step of the way.

Mom of Eleven said...

Yes,yes, yes, We have to be alert, but not live in FEAR. I have had days and moments like that too. I want to be intentional about making sure I have taken all steps to make sure we are safe. The truth is, it's scary, but we have victory and faith and hope in God that HE will protect our children. I am so glad you found the boy, what a nightmare. My little ones MUST wear swimmies at that age. My Mother-in-law had a water dream about S when she was about 1, since then, mine have either worn the floatie suits or swimmies At ALL times until they could swim on their own.
w

Emmy said...

Woke up in the middle of the night thinking (well obsessing) about all of this... I have to be so careful because I can become paralyzed by these kinds of thoughts (fear has always been a stronghold of mine) I just have to keep giving it to God... I think if it weren't for God and the Hope we have in Him... I probably wouldn't let anyone leave the house!

HW said...

Becoming a mother opens up a whole new world of fear for us. But we must live in faith; and send them into their day under an umbrella of prayer.
I must admit I struggle with this, while raising my teenagers. There are so many things I am tempted to say "NO" to with our kids but realize I must let them spread their wings, and be independent. We are reaching a point with our children, where we will have little say over their choices; and we must have faith that we taught them well early on. This is indeed a frightening prospect.
I am so relieved the little one at the pool was OK. We had our own close call in a pool years ago, and it is enough to paralyze you if you let it.

peapodsquadmom said...

I feel almost paralyzed by these kinds of fears. Motherhood has made me more vulnerable than ever before. I love these children with every fiber of my being and the thought of losing one of them is more than I can bear. I know many of my friends think I overdo it...that I'm too paranoid or over-cautious. When I read or hear stories like you've mentioned, though, I know that the old "better safe than sorry" is sooooo true.

Momma-of-5 said...

Thank you for the reminder. We've (my husband and I both) have been so "on edge" since SCC's family's accident. I just need to remember to give each day to God...first thing...when I wake up. He's sovereign. Praise God.