Saturday, May 17, 2008

All About R

All of my children have had fairly consistent temperments and personalities since they were in the womb. I seriously have a pregnancy journal entry where I describe things about my children that hold true to this day. R, however, has probably been the most consistently inconsistent. What I mean by that is that my little guy is a bit on the moody side. He is exceedingly proper and polite, but he doesn't hand out his love or attention easily. He makes you work for it.R always seems to have a sense of purpose to whatever he is doing. He loves to feel capable and independent. He absolutely beams when I ask for his help with something. He is truly a boy's boy that loves crashing cars, Batman, rough play, his Daddy and above all things...BASEBALL!
And in baseball, like anything else R is involved in, he is very serious and methodical. He practices constantly. He has even been known to sleep with his baseball bat.
R, like his mama, is quite a talker. He provides his own commentary as he plays sports...and also serves as coach to his siblings, telling them with great specificity where to go and what to do, play-by-play. People always assume K, by virtue of being female, is the boss. Not true.And he insists that K and I cheer for him in virtually everything that he does. My competitive little guy likes applause and adulation. A lot.
One of my recent discoveries about R is that he is quite the prayer warrior. From school choices to prisoners working on the side of the road, or even troubled runaways, R can be counted on to pipe up from the backseat with a suggestion that we stop and pray. And he generally insists on doing so RIGHT THEN, even if it means pulling the car over. And as long as R is at the table, the family blessing will never be forgotten.


He asks deep and challenging questions about God and faith. It is easy to forget his little mind is only 4 years old.

This precious mini-man with his deep dimples and long eyelashes always has a plan and will forever have his mama's heart.

5 comments:

Brandy Thixton said...

How adorable! What a man of God!

Amba said...

Hi :)

I have been reading yer blog for a long time now so I thought it is far overdue for me to let u know and say hi :) I think my blog should show up when I publish this comment if u want to know a bit about me, tho I'll warn u, I haven't posted much for about a yr lol... I love reading about yer kids and about your thoughts etc on Christian life. You've really been an encouragement me, and tho I hope this doesn't creep you out, but in ways I feel like I know u :)

Amber

laurie said...

You did a wonderful job describing his little personality, those dimples make me smile every time I see them! Hope the weekend hasn't been too busy!

Unknown said...

He is just adorable. That last picture brings a big smile to my face.

GE is me said...

oh my goodness, I pray this little man is like David & always has a heart after the Lord. How precious! and thank you for sharing. Sometimes when I read your blog & my girls are about 10 months younger than yours I feel like I'm falling incredibly short.
So was his & K's school choice the one y'all ended up going with?
-Gail