Monday, April 28, 2008

God's Will

I have been spending a great deal of time in the last couple of weeks touring, researching and considering educational opportunities for our children. We are blessed to have many great schools in our small town. In many regards this makes to decision making process even more difficult.

The public school that we are assigned to is not a very good option, so we have been considering several scenarios: a city to county transfer for a different public school, a Christian school, a parochial school, a Montessori school, a very small private school and a larger private school. The children are registered to return to their current church preschool, but I have been previewing pre-K and kindergarten programs this Spring. In doing so I have realized that a couple of the options might necessitate a move as early as this Fall. Yikes!

Through my research, I have found that many of my pre-conceived notions about various options were incorrect. I have also found that this comparison is exceedingly more difficult than I had imagined. Further complicating matters, several of these options involve less than three classes per grade, which means my children would either be kept together through elementary school or split two in one classroom and one in another. There are many variables floating around in my head.

Last night during dinner, the kids were asking me when they could go visit one of the schools in particular (because they really like the idea of it). I explained that Mommy and Daddy were still visiting and praying about what the right choice for our family was going to be.
Young R, who is really my prayer warrior, said, "I am going to ask God whether we should go to A, B (he said the real schools) or jus' stay where we are, Mom."
"That is great, honey. Mommy and Daddy are doing the same thing."
"I want to pray right now, Mom. Bow yo' head."
Then right there at dinner (on a patio at a burrito restaurant, no less) R prayed a simple, direct, one sentence prayer asking God to tell us what to do.
As we raised our heads, P said, "God told me in my heart we should go to A."
K added, "He told me in my heart we should go to B. I weally think I hear-ed Him."
R jumped in, "He told me B too."

I was relaying all this to a friend of mine today. I realized as I spoke to her that as gut-wrenching as this process is, the process itself as been the first real opportunity my husband and I have had to model seeking God's Will to the kids in a way they can see and grasp. As I shared all my conflicting emotions with my friend today (including my shallow concerns), she reminded me that this will continue to be a lesson I can refer back to with the children as they grow older. Particularly, if we wind up traveling a 'road less traveled.'

It was an awesome reminder that so many of our experiences in life are preparing us for even more coming later. Somehow it makes it feel even more meaningful to know I will see this test again. I must pay attention.

6 comments:

texasknights said...

You are right, "Children learn what they live and live what they learn." I might have the quote turned around...but you get the point. I love your genuine and sincere heart in raising your kids (and everything else you do).
Thanks for sharing.
Our kiddos attend a small Christian school and it has been so WONDERFUL. Of course I do not have the issue you have about 3 kids in the same grade. I do, however, teach the only first grade class so in a year, I will have my youngest in the class. Not so sure about that one! :) ANd back to earnestly seeking His will!

Jenna said...

How sweet are you babes?! They obviously already have such hearts for God even though they are still so little. Precious.

I can't imagine having to make such a decision, but I know God will lead y'all in the right direction. And, like you said, sometimes the process of getting there is just as important as the end result.

Thanks for sharing this!

Kerin said...

I can't imagine making the decision knowing you will have 3 tuitions to deal with at the same time. We love the school where the girls are enrolled- it has been an awesome experience!! The friendships they have will be life-long ones. The lower school was such a great and unique place. We are very fortunate to have so many great options to choose from in such a small town. Good luck with the decision-making! I don't think that there really is a "wrong" choice. Kerin

Joni said...

I have been exactly where you are and understand the tough choices. Because you are seeking God's will for your family I know that your final decision will be pleasing to Him.

I sought a lot of advice, gathered an enormous amount of information, and spent restless nights praying about our choices.Ultimately, though, what I discovered is that regardless of where my children were educated, I just wanted to be in His will rather than out of it.

That's the safe place. That's the place of blessings. That's the place He will make evident to you as your family continues to seek Him for direction.

Deidre said...

So sweet. What a perfect example to your children that you and your husband are seeking God's will in such an important decision.

This was a tough one for me (not really my husband - who was certain the entire time), but we finally decided on a classical, christian school. It has been an excellent choice for us, but still one I pray about year to year.

Mary Lou said...

God will tell you where they should go. It is a blessing to read that they are becoming such prayer warriors at such a young age. We are to teach as we rise up and as we sit down and as we go about our day and you are doing just that...Keep the great work up. Blessings