Friday, May 16, 2008

Superhero

If you have little boys, you must show them this video of the song, "Superhero." R watched it AT LEAST 6 times after breakfast this morning...and as cheesy as it sounds, it was a great conversation starter about the power of God, in cool superhero words that he was very interested in.

Speaking of superheroes ;-), my husband is on call, so I spent tonight catching up on Tivo. Even though I knew the outcome of this week's American Idol, I wanted to watch the hometown visits. As I watched each of the final three contestants overcome with emotion as they revisited their friends, families and neighbors, I couldn't help but think about that experience. 

These three finalists are the same people they were a few months ago, yet everything has changed. Why? These three people had their gifts, personalities, talents, appearance back then, just as they do now, but they were 'unknown,' ordinary citizens. How is it that in the course of a few months they now have thousands lining the streets, waving signs, screaming and crying, pushing to get a chance to see them? It was too much for these contestants to take in. 

I tried to put myself in their shoes, then giggled because it was such a stretch. Then, I was reminded that each of us have our own unique talents, gifts, abilities and life experiences. It may never result in worldwide fame and a recording contract, but we are told in Scripture that God causes it to all come together for His ultimate good. 

For most of us it will not be on a stage like American Idol, but none of us know the plans God has for our unique lives. I think of Esther and all the other people throughout history who had no idea how God would use them and their stories to change the course of history. 

It can be hard to think seriously about significantly impacting the world from the trenches of motherhood, but never forget that we serve a mighty, incredible, creative Lord. His definition of true greatness often differs from ours, as His is centered on love and service rather than fame and fortune. There is no limit to what He can do with your life. Our job is to draw near to Him, hide His Word in our hearts, be watchful, prayerful and willing. 

He'll take care of the rest. Believe it.

3 comments:

R said...

After an awful day juggling a water leak at the foundation of our house, a plumber here fixing it all day, and going crazy trying to keep two little ones out of his hair, I needed this reminder that what I do--seemingly insignificant as it may feel at times--IS indeed significant!

Mom Guide said...

Thanks for the song suggestion. We love Hillsong Kids. He and his playmates rocked out to "Supernatural God" during a park playdate.

GE is me said...

I couldn't get the video to load, but if it's the one I think it is I like that song. btw- a word of encouragement to you. You may not be famous, but just your blog I'm sure has changed some lives. The Godly insight & wisdom that you often write is greatly appreciate. Tends to put things into perspective for me, that's for sure.
In Christ, -Gail