Sunday, May 18, 2008

Are We There Yet?

Our sermon this morning was about keeping an eternal perspective. It resonated with me, because I long to keep my eyes on the prize, but get distracted constantly by the tyranny of the urgent. And with small children there is always plenty of urgent (trips to the potty, skinned knees, wet pants, bottoms to wipe, lost toys, hungry tummies, missing shoes, groceries to buy, bills to pay, laundry to clean...you know the drill.)

Bill really illustrated his point this morning with the simple analogy of riding long distances in the car with small children. As he described the familiar strains from the backseat of "Are we there yet? How much longer?" I couldn't help but think about how similarly whiny I can be amidst difficult days ("Is it bedtime yet?") Or difficult periods of my life. ("How much longer?")

I was thinking this afternoon about how we can get so caught up in the 'not being there yet' that we miss the beauty of the journey. The journey, for people of faith, is the process God uses to refine us and sanctify us. It is often full of pain, trial, hardship, disappointment...but it is also sprinkled with love, joy, laughter and beauty. We just have to look for those things.

Most importantly, however, is the hope we have of what the destination will be like. Ultimately, we will have eternity in Heaven...and like the fact that my 9 weeks in the hospital now feel a bit more like 1...our pain and struggles here will be incredibly insignificant in light of what is to come. Not because they aren't true and real and difficult, but because Heaven will be amazing and forever.

I have to admit that there is a part of me that worries sometimes about being "so Heavenly minded that I am no Earthly good." I don't want to be of the world, but I do live in it. This part of my flesh appreciated Bill's reminder that the point is not to neglect or make light of our present circumstances but to refocus attention on and even boast of our future.

This is helpful as we think eternally, but it is beneficial in the milestones along the way as well. We teach our children consequences in the small things now, because the stakes will only get higher. We strive to make good daily choices, because line upon line they are building our character and reputation.

I have said it before, but I need the reminder. This is not a sprint. It is a marathon. We have a prize that has been marked for us...but we must remain focused.

"
I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.

So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you'll see it yet! Now that we're on the right track, let's stay on it."

Philippians 3:12-16 (The Message)

4 comments:

Colored With Memories said...

What a great reminder. Thanks for sharing.

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

I Cor 9:24
Know you not that they which run in a race run all, but one receives the prize? So run, that you may obtain.

Marathon is right but while we are focused on the goal, we also have the directive to teach that same Gospel to others so they too might join in this race and be "joint heirs with Christ".

Ecc. 4L9-10
"Two are better than one, because they have a good [more satisfying] reward for their labor;

For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!

a portland granny said...

Amen and amen! Oh that our minds and hearts would be on the goal! As I enter into the winter of my life, I so want to be ready and willing for that Home call when it comes. What will it be like to face our Saviour face to face for the first time?

As you have stated so realistically, while we are on our journey, we need to vital in our daily living....and even when we're old sometimes it is a struggle to keep that in mind as we go about out days.

"Our Daily Bread" devotional ended Saturday with this thought..."Plan as though you'll be living for a century; live as though you'll be leaving today".

Your post today was so good, that I am drawing it to the attention of my preacher son.

Thanks for your God-given insights.

Bless you, dear girl.

Joan

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

Amen... I love how you often use the message Bible. It really helps to make it clear!