Wednesday, April 16, 2008

An Imaginary Party

Remember K's imaginary friend, Joke? Well, apparently it was his birthday a few days ago. K has been asking me to buy some cupcake mix so we could have a party for him. Since I needed to make a grocery run anyway, today was the big day. We invited our buddies M & S over after preschool to celebrate with cupcakes and balloons.

K was thrilled with our plan! According to K, Joke has recently turned 1 year old. When I asked her how he has been able to teach her so many wonderful things as a baby she explained that he used to be older, but gets younger all the time.

As we started making the cupcakes, K insisted we needed a party theme. Because our 4 year old party next month is going to be a cowboy and cowgirl theme, she suggested that Joke would enjoy the same.

When the time came for the gifts, I brought out a gift bag with nothing inside but the decorative tissue. Much to K's displeasure 'the gift' was as invisible as Joke. (I , personally, thought I was very funny. K, not so much!)

(This is a CLASSIC P face these days!)

After cupcakes, Mrs. M. brought out the sidewalk paint. You can only imagine the fun five 3-4 year olds had!

And, of course, it quickly turned into a body painting exercise. A messy and marvelous way to spend a beautiful Spring Day with our friends...real and imaginary.

9 comments:

Bethany said...

What a cool idea! You are such a fun mom-- someday when I have my own children, I'd love to have as much fun as you and your family seem to have :D

Paulette said...

Well Happy Birthday Joke!!
What a sweet friend K is to Joke lol.
I love the picture of K, in the hat , how precious.
What a sweet mom you are to meet K's needs J.
What a fun day!!!

Deidre said...

Yay, Happy Birthday Joke!

I remember my dad doing the same for me. My imaginary friend, Melissa was having a birthday. He got cake, candles, ice cream and had invited the entire neighborhood to celebrate. He surprised us both - I'll never forget that. You've made a special memory for K.

Mom of Eleven said...

When S was our ONLY child, we often took Kayla with us on trips around town and to the grocery store. She even went to the beach with us once. (Kayla was imaginary too, so don't worry, it't VERY normal.) Once we moved in here, all the imaginary friends moved away. Too funny
Happy Birthday Joke!!
w

Mary Lou said...

This Nana will have to chime in and said she too had an imaginary friend, whose name was Barlow. I almost didn't remember the name, but then I remembered my mother telling me what thier name was. I don't think I turned out bad and I'm not too crazy, Ha, ha. I think it shows she uses her mind. She will love reading...she is a cutie and so are your boys..

Megan L Hutchings said...

Sounds like the picture perfect day!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

The imaginary present was a great idea! I'm guessing if you'd actually given a real gift, you'd have two more kiddos who suddenly have imaginary friends.

Tara said...

That reminds me of the party I blogged about in November. My daughter carries her bunny everywhere and we celebrated bunny's third birthday with an impromptu party. I was not as prepared as you, however, so we improvised with imaginary cake. Kids are just so funny!

Jill said...

What GREAT imagination that Joke gets younger every year.