Thursday, December 07, 2006

P's Progress

When P was 5 months old, my husband and I grew concerned about some differences in his physical movements and abilities. Since the children were born 8 1/2 weeks prematurely, we knew there might be some developmental delays and we wanted to stay on top of things.

P was born last and was the smallest at 2 lbs 6 oz. We marvelled at the fact that despite how small he was, he seemed quite strong. (We would later discover his increased muscle tone/tightness made him seem stronger.) When he was in a relaxed position, he always seemed a bit contorted. We also noticed when he would bounce in his Jumparoo, he would just use one side of his body. We were sleep deprived, first time parents, so we decided to call in a group of therapists to evaluate him and alleviate our fears.

The therapists agreed that he had increased muscle tone and would benefit from physical therapy. They also determined that P should receive speech therapy because of lip and facial weakness. When he would drink from his bottle, milk would pour out of his little mouth. As he started eating solid foods, he seemed to have a lot of trouble with chewing and gagging as well.

After hearing the words "tonal" thrown around by therapists frequently, I started doing some research. It kept leading back to the 2 scary words I had dreaded from the time I started learning about the risks to premature infants: Cerebral Palsy.

When I went into preterm labor at 23.5 weeks, we set our first goal at 28 weeks (for greatest likelihood of infant survival), then at 32 weeks (decreased risk of brain bleeds, i.e., Cerebral Palsy). Cerebral Palsy(CP) had been the big, scary diagnosis.

When P was 12 months old, we went for an MRI to determine if, in fact, there had been a bleed. The finding was positive. By definition, P had CP. We were remarkably calm about the diagnosis. It was not a surprise, merely a confirmation of our suspicions. Occupational Therapy was added to his weekly schedule.

The big unanswered question was how impacted he would be. There is a huge spectrum of Cerebral Palsy, from the wheelchair bound to those who live "normal" lives with very mild effects. There is no crystal ball and no guarantee of what the outcome will be for each individual.

P received 5 hours of therapy each week, and gradually he started making progress.
At 13 months, he rolled over without assistance.
At 15 months, he began to crawl.
At 17 months, he walked.

A few months ago, P was released from his weekly therapy sessions. We all agreed the best thing for him right now is to play and develop alongside his siblings and his peers. We plan to periodically re-evaluate his progress. There are a few things he still struggles with. At 30 months, he cannot quite climb stairs normally. He has an awkward gait, especially when running. He still appears a bit "drawn up" when he is tired or sick. He still prefers to use his right hand over his left. Yet, these things really do not seem to matter on a daily basis. His CP is classified as very mild.

His speech is beautiful. He is incredibly smart. He sings constantly. He is quite the comedian. He climbs and swings like a wild 2 year old boy. P does not know he is different. The other children do not treat him differently. His favorite phrase these days is:"You wanna play ball wiff me?" He is my P. I cannot imagine him any other way.

Yesterday we travelled to see the neurologist for our 4 month check-up. After evaluating P, he remarked at his progress and told us he would not need to see us for 8 months this time...and that hopefully that will be our last visit.

I realize every situation is different, but when I think about Ivey, Addison, Ezzy and many other friends of mine with children who have scary diagnoses, I reminded that NONE OF US have a crystal ball (even with our children who do not have scary acronyms on their medical charts). Each of them were fearfully and wonderfully made by the ultimate Creator...and there is a purpose and a plan. Aren't we blessed to have a front row seat as the story unfolds?

Psalm 139: 13-16 (The Message)
Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; you formed me in my mother's womb. I thank you, High God—you're breathtaking! Body and soul, I am marvelously made! I worship in adoration—what a creation! You know me inside and out, you know every bone in my body; You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, how I was sculpted from nothing into something. Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before you, The days of my life all prepared before I'd even lived one day.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

God's perfect plans are best! I love this and appreciate,once again,your emphasis on God's sovereignty. Your children are beautiful and a testimony to God's unrelenting goodness in our lives!

Kim

Renee said...

Such an encouragement to hear how Parker has progressed so well! I long for the day we can say good-bye (all though it will be sad) to our therapists that come to the home 4-5 times a week. One reason we wanted to have our children so close together was so #2 could hopefully learn so much from the others and receive a natural "push" from them. But we still have a long ways to go.

The verse you posted has been on my fridge for 3 1/2 years now. I think it will remain there forever. Such a comfort to remember that God made each of our children just how they are ... and I would not trade it for the world now.

I was talking to a mom yesterday who has one of her triplets in #2's 3 yr old preschool class. I don't want to put her name out here, but she said she knew you and maybe even originally from the same city.

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

You wrote that so beautifully about your little Parker. What great news that he is progressing so well. I pray that he continues to do so:)

Anonymous said...

I remember quite the celebration when the last therapist left our house. They came to the adoption party, but as friends - not therapists!

Way to go, Parker. You show 'em how to overcome!

Perri

Sandi said...

Thank you so much for posting this today. My daughter has recently been diagnosed with a seizure disorder. Today she had another seizure and it is hard for me to cope. Seeing your bravery has really given me strength. Trying each day to gain peace within the confines of it ordained in her life.

Anonymous said...

jen, thanks again for sharing your life with us... i'm constantly amazed b/c most of this is new to me... is parker the cutie on the right?? one day, i hope to meet that adorable crew!

The Amazing Trips said...

Yay Parker!!

I'm so glad to hear that he is making such wonderful progress!!

Erin said...

That was beautiful, and all of it so true. I am so happy about Parker's progress - how wonderful. They are certainly sweet gifts from God!

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

Thank you for sharing, I needed to read this today. Thank you for taking our little ones before the Lord.

keri said...

its so great to hear about parker's progress! its so amazing to think about how tiny he was when he was born...and to see him now!

Anonymous said...

Great news for Parker and the Scotts. I am a grandma who recently had one of my grandsons diagnosed with Autism. It is great to be reminded that there is a plan. I now look forward to what God has in store for my Grandson. Please keep sharing. You never know what will touch someone.

Anonymous said...

I am happy to hear that Parker is doing so well.
I also wanted to let you know that I have relatives that live in Watkinsville, GA. I have no idea where that is in relation to you but I thought I would mention it. Also, It is to bad your relatives are moving out of MN we might of had a chance to meet if you ever headed up this way!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for Parker!

I remember what Addie's geneticist said--all parents ask all the same questions for all of our children's futures; we just ask the questions earlier when there's a problem. That's true--I wonder what Addie will be like when she's an adult, but I wonder what Caiden and Grayson will be like, too. That helps me keep my sanity sometimes when the questions overwhelm me:)