Thursday, March 03, 2022

Fully themselves (and figuring it out!)

A few weeks ago one of my children made a public stand for their faith in a meaningful way. My heart leaped with the boldness they were displaying. A few parents even reached out to remark the example being set. And yet, what they did not know is that a mere week before I had to coach this same teen on their online presence and some concerns I had about the mixed message it was sending. 

As I was talking through how to hold both--the celebration of their public declaration AND the fear of their mixed signals--a youth minister friend of mine offered the greatest perspective.

"Isn't that the greatest thing about teens? Both of those things are FULLY and truly who (teen) is in this moment."

I had to laugh at the truth. 

Our teens are figuring it out. That is the job of adolescence. 

It can look messy. It can be cringe-inducing in one breath and a source of great pride in the next. 

They are doing the work. And we must trust the process!

No comments: