Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Summer Bohemian

I have made the comment to a couple of people this week that my children & I have reached a new level of bohemianism. (This was prompted by a side glance at our reflection in a store window as we were entering...wow!) If you happen to see us out and about, bear with us, it won't be long until uniforms are the norm again...buttoned up, tucked in and belted. Until then we shall continue to enjoy a little freedom.

My generally uptight Mama ways have found a different rhythm this Summer. Nightly baths have often been replaced by showers at the pool after swimming. Clothing choices have been 99% up to the children. Hair brushing has been almost completely optional. I am still expecting beds to be made each morning... My laidback-ness has its limits. :-) With only 12 days left to enjoy Summer, we are tan and relaxed...

My children have been reading like crazy (I am planning to write a post with their favorites soon). It started with our library's Summer reading program and has continued past that 20 hour mark. When not day camping, reading or playing we've been swimming a lot to beat the heat.

K has been seriously refining her skills as a crafty re-purposer. If there is a shred of cardboard, ribbon or felt in sight she has a plan for it! My sunporch is currently home to an elaborate homemade house for K's favorite stuffed monkey, Vines. She's even been making clothing for her Barbies out of old socks and scraps of fabric. Just this week she discovered origami.

R has been continued to practice baseball at every opportunity, both on the Wii and in the front yard. His love of the game has even led to his packing a bat, ball and glove in the pool bag so that he can maximize the 10 minute 'adult swim' breaks with a bit of baseball on the lawn with whatever boys happen to be present.

P has become quite the expert on all things Pokemon...prompting a conversation last week that ended in this quote from him "Mama, I only have three idols: God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Pokemon is not an idol. I just really like it a whole lot."

All good things must come to an end. Our school supplies have been purchased (including the requisite new shoes). Summer reading assignments are complete. I think it is fair to say we are all looking forward to getting back in the groove of a schedule. But just to be sure, tomorrow morning K, P, R & I are heading South for one last road trip to the beach with friends...3 Mamas plus 8 children...memories are bound to be made!

2 comments:

Immeasurably More Mama said...

A bohemian summer sounds wonderful. I'm sure your children (and you) have enjoyed the change in rhythm. :) Have fun at the beach!

Immeasurably More Mama said...

And I must confess that our boys have taken a few showers at the pool too! :)