Sunday, January 16, 2011

Blessed Be the Name

A lot going through my little brain after a great morning at church. For now, I really just wanted to post these lyrics. I have decided that this is my favorite praise song. I love the authentic faith this represents, the reminder that circumstances are temporary but our God is forever. He is the SAME--the I AM--no matter what our circumstances look like.
Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name
-Matt Redman
Two weeks ago during the Passion conference that Louie Giglio hosted in Atlanta, I was able to tune in to some of the sermons as they were being live streamed (sermon listening is my favorite laundry companion--makes it not feel so mundane). John Piper delivered a challenging message that asked one question: What is at the bottom of your joy? Is it self or is it God?

I know what I would like my answer to be. I know that 'when streams of abundance flow' I bless His name...but what of the wilderness times, the waiting rooms, the unexpected tragedy, sadness and frustration of things not turning out the way I wanted. When I am lonely, overwhelmed or feeling shortchanged, do I bless His name then--or question it? What is the ultimate object of my worship (my god)--the Almighty God or my happiness/comfort/self?

“God loves you. And he wants you to feel loved. You are precious to Him. God says you are so precious that I will not let your preciousness become your god. God should be our God. And our God alone.”- John Piper

7 comments:

Mary Lou said...

We sang this song in church this morning. We are reading thru the Bible chronologically as a church body....today's sermon was on Job, s well as the SS lesson. "He knows my way and when I am tested, I will come forth as gold." It is easy to praise Him when everything is good, much harder to praise Him when your circumstances are hard, however He did not come to bless us, He came to change us. He did not come to make things easy for us on this side of heaven, He came to live with us till we get to the other side, to be with Him for all eternity. Once again, your post blessed my heart.

Courtney said...

We have some friends that were serving at a church in New Orleans when Katrina hit. They lost almost everything and they took this song on as their lifelong. Their sweet kids would always sing it! Today they are back in New Orleans and happy as can be. What a great song!

Samantha said...

Wow, this post is something I can really relate to! That song first hit me at Glory at the Gardens in Tampa, FL when I witnessed Stephen Curtis Chapman and his son sing that song almost one year to the day after the loss of Maria Sue Chapman. It was so powerful. Not long after that when I lost my grandfather unexpectedly after a routine procedure yeilded tragic results, I remember driving in my car and God spoke to me through that song on the radio. I just cried to Him and all I could muster up the breath to say was "I still love You, God. I still love You. I know You are still good and holy." That song means so much to me and every single time I hear it I remember how God loved me through the loss of someone I loved so much and how good He truly is.

I am a college student at Flagler College in St. Augustine and I was at Passion in Atlanta just two weeks ago. John Piper's talk was absolutely amazing and God moved so deeply through the hearts of thousands of college students in that arena, myself very much included. I was absolutely on my face in awe of the greatness and the love of our God. I am so glad you were able to see it online.

I love reading your blog about your faith walk and raising such beautiful children. It is a great encouragement and I enjoy learning through you. I keep your family in my prayers.

His,
Samantha

John and Kitty Miller said...

Today I had just finished reading my Bible and ended my time by reading the song Blessed Be Your Name, which is tucked in my Bible. Next I read through my favorite blogs including yours, and saw your post about the exact same song. Amazing how God works. I agree with you. The words are so awesome and so convicting.

This weekend I watched a clip from the Duggars tv show. Jim Bob had just been told that his wife was going to have to deliver their baby of 24 weeks because his wife's blood pressure was so high. In tears he said, "We thank God in the good times, so we will choose to thank Him in the bad times, too." I was touched by his realness and faith at a difficult time.

Thanks for sharing! I appreciate you.

Melissa at Raised by Wolfs said...

Thank you for this reminder. Right now I am sitting in the NICU with my 11-day-old twin boys and I had just run out of praise and worship songs to sing softly to them. How could I have forgotten this one, which never fails to move me to tears?? It is a favorite of mine, and I can't think of anything more appropriate at the moment. God used you to reach me tonight, thank you.

Jennifer said...

Melissa- I don't know if you will see this, but praying today for your boys. (and their worried parents)

Rachel said...

Perfect post that touched my heart for my life right now! Thanks!