Sunday, September 19, 2010

Grace for All

I learned a doozie of a lesson today...all before church even really got started. There are some troubled teenagers who have been attending church with us for a few weeks. They aren't particularly sweet and polite. I have to remind them about their word choice in the presence of my children. They say things like "little kids drive me crazy," treat me as if I embarrass them and are frequently slow to show appreciation.

No one makes them accompany us. They have to get up extra early when they could be sleeping in. Yet, each Saturday night when I call to see if anyone is interested in joining us there are 3-6 takers. And each Sunday as I sit in church singing worship songs about redemption and grace I feel as if my heart just might burst at the privilege of getting to provide transportation for them to hear a little bit more about God's love for them. I absolutely love them, for reasons I really can't explain except that God has put this in me.

We love because he first loved us. I John 4:19 (NIV)

Generally, my husband transports our carload of children while I go to get the teens. This morning my husband was on call, so we could not take two cars. I only had two empty seats for passengers. A friend of mine who shares a God-placed love for these kids got the girls, while I went to get the boys. I had only one male guest this week and he had overslept. Still somewhat asleep, he was not particularly friendly and in typical teen male fashion, he only managed a few grunts in response to my questions and the endless excited chattering of my children. Nonetheless, rather than feeling offended I felt love for him. (Okay, so I was 10% offended, but the other 90% was a complete God-placed compassion that I cannot explain apart from Him.)

As I was pondering the miracle that God-placed grace is, another person in my life was brought to mind. It is a person I don't have much grace for, honestly. I could give you my list of reasons and you might even agree--but the truth is, that person is FAR LESS offensive than these teenagers can be.

I thought more about my 'heavenly sandpaper' (a term my friend Priscilla uses to describe people placed in your life to rub out some of the rough edges of your heart) and was really convicted! Why can I give grace to one and not the other?

For me, the answer is a matter of sympathy. I see the troubled adolescents as victims in need of every break they can get. I have a hard time having grace for people I perceive as old enough/educated enough/strong enough to know better, but the truth is we are all in the same condition.

"For all have sinned and fallen short of the grace of God." Romans 3:23

Regardless of package, education level or obvious scars from our pasts...we all have hearts that are hurting and in need the grace of a loving Savior (and His followers.)

Today God gave me eyes to see my heavenly sandpaper in a totally different light--one of grace.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

I've been following your blog for about a year. I so enjoy the stories and life lessons that you share. I live in the Atlanta area and attend North Point Community Church. I have many friends who have been involved with Young Life. I also have friends who know Cabell...one of which also has triplets! Thanks again for sharing your heart and life. God uses your words to encourage and challenge me.

Shealy said...

Thank you so much for this post... It was much needed!

Anonymous said...

i cannot tell you how much i look forward to your posts! they are such an inspiration to me and have become my morning "quiet time." THANK YOU for all the time/thought you put into them - you have no idea the impact your words have to so many that you don't even know. please don't ever stop!

Peter and Nancy said...

I've had this same revelation too -- I have lots of grace for some kinds of people, but none for people in a different category. Ouch. I'm so grateful God doesn't work that way, and thankful for this reminder.
Nancy