Thursday, March 18, 2010

Getting It

It is fitting that after a less-than flattering portrait of my sweet R in yesterday's post, God would give me a precious moment with him tonight.

We use Resurrection Eggs for our little pre-bedtime devotion this time of year. Tonight we opened the egg that had the leather representing the whip. As we talked about the 'cat of nine tails' used to whip Jesus before his crucifixion the trio's eyes were wide.

As I was tucking R in he said very seriously, "Mom, I know why dey whipped Jesus. Dey wanted Him to say dat he wasn't weally God's Son and dat's why dey did dose udder mean fings and put him on da cwoss."

He barely paused for a breath as he got a twinkle in his eye, grinned and finished, "but dey did not know dat he would still NOT say it AND dat He could just come back alive!"

He was so pleased with His Jesus.

I am so pleased that every now and then God gives us a glimpse that despite outward behavior and appearances that might indicate otherwise, He is indeed at work in these little hearts.

Thank you, God, for wooing my son to you with your Son's tricky, superhero powers. :-)

7 comments:

Marcia (123 blog) said...

OH I LOVE IT!

R and the fact that Jesus has Superhero powers

Kellie said...

Hey! Her name is Gianna Guthrie - she is at UAB and she has a Carepages.com website. Thanks for praying, she seems to be taking a turn for the better.

Malu said...

As a Sunday School superintendent and teacher is so nice to know that the seed fertilizes and bloom in our children's heart. God bless you.

Marva said...

wonderfully said!!!!

Peter and Nancy said...

I just loved the photo in your last post -- reminds me of my now 7-year-old, who when he was 2, refused the time-out chair by yelling "NEVER!" Ha! But the Holy Spirit will use everything you're teaching him -- as this dear conversation indicates!
Nancy

Jenny said...

LOVE it!!!

We LOVE the resurrection eggs too and use them quite a bit too!

Adore your sweet family!!!!!!!!!

Tari said...

This post and your picture from yesterday SO remind me of my younger son! We spend a lot of time talking to him about "not fighting the world" all the time, and trying to help him to pick the things to "go to the wall for". He is a fighter, just like your R, and he wants to get into the battle NOW. They both need to learn - from our Lord - that there are some things worth fighting for, and (God help us) we can teach them the patience to wait until those battles come along.

But oh, there are times I so wish he was a bit more of a pushover! :)