Sunday, September 13, 2009

Dancing Through Life

Last night my husband and I went on a real live actual date. (We used to be much better about making this a priority!)

It was a delicious, unrushed dinner with another couple followed by dancing under the stars in the ruins of a historic estate. Quite romantic and fun!
(Yes, we took a picture of ourselves on my phone at a stoplight. We are geeky like that. )

The ambiance was enchanting, but the best part was simply enjoying uninterrupted conversation and laughter. As we were dancing, I couldn't help but do a little people watching. (It took my mind off of my own awkwardness and lack of coordination!) The crowd of about 60 people included the full gamut of couples--from a man and woman celebrating their 40+ year anniversary to unmarried, footloose and starry eyed college kids. I thought about where we were on that continuum--comfortably in the middle of the extremes.

We were not trying to impress each other like some of the younger, unmarried couples appeared to be. We weren't canoodling like the newly engaged couple next to us. Our dance moves weren't as refined and perfectly in sync as the older couples. Sometimes we were in a great rhythm and sometimes we missed, laughed and tried again. And unlike our early days of dancing together, I have learned to let him lead without fighting for control. What a metaphor for life as a couple. Thankfully, we serve a master choreographer, able to turn our missteps into a beautiful masterpiece.

The initial mystery of getting to know one another has faded. It has been replaced by a deeper respect, appreciation--and dare I say, love--that only comes from walking through various seasons and life and watching the growth that happens as a result of the twists and turns of life.

I couldn't help but smile. We are in a good place. Yes, our lives are often chaotic and involve less sleep than we would like...but there is so much love, respect, laughter and blessing. I am so thankful for the man God ordained for me. He was absolutely worth the wait!

6 comments:

S said...

I hope you share this with your children. I know they already see the love you have for each other but to hear you describe it this way...it's awesome. You and "Big R" are such a blessing !

k and c's mom said...

Sounds like you need to make date night a regular item in ink on your calendars! A beautiful post.

nen said...

What a beautiful post, and a such a cute picture of both of you, too! Your love for each other is what your children will hold as the gold standard for the relationships they will form in their lives. How lucky they are to have such great role models!

Bethany said...

What a wonderful post. Some day I pray to be even a part of the first group of starry eyed (though not college, too old! hehe) lovers ;)

Mickie McGee said...

Such a cute couple.....love all over your faces!!

xyz said...

I just realized, looking at this picture of the 2 of you, how similar both of you look to some wonderful parents of triplets I spent time with this summer.
Alas, they have a set of (Blonde, somehow!) GBG's - E, O, & L.
The parents were fantastic people, and not only are your looks similar - but I have a feeling your very beings are, as well.