Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Love Thy Neighbor

We are blessed with incredible neighbors. When we moved into this house 18 months ago, I told many folks that the house was terrific, but the neighbors were the real draw. The families on either side of us both attend our church and are just a few years ahead of us in their stage of life. The D.'s have three daughters aged 7-14. They love each other and above all love their Lord and seek to glorify Him no matter what.

On the other side, Emmy and her husband have four children ranging from 9-16 who are all so kind and attentive to my trio--and are great role models! My crew is especially attached to Emmy's family, as our driveways are next to one another allowing us a bit more interaction during our comings and goings. Since we moved a path has become well-worn through the ivy between our two homes.

One of K's favorite activities is to take a gift to our neighbors. When we make cupcakes or cookies, she always wants to deliver a plate to Emmy, who my children refer to only by her last name (the 'Mrs.' got dropped somewhere early on). This Summer, K started picking weeds and having me put them in a bud vase for her to deliver. Precious Emmy started a tradition of replacing the weeds with something beautiful before returning it to K. (Most recently, white roses and a gorgeous soft green ribbon.) The effect on K is precious. She is enchanted by this little game--and I hope that she is learning about the beauty of giving, kindness and being a thoughtful neighbor.

Unfortunately for Emmy & company, they have created a bit of a monster. K is always looking for something to deliver next door. This weekend she came to me with 4 of the most pitiful, tiny carrots from our garden-that-didn't-work-out-so-well. They were literally the size of fingernail slivers. I tried to convince her not to take them over and she replied, "But, Mama, they shared those tomatoes from their garden, we should share carrots from ours."

Sorry, Emmy, we clearly have gotten the better end of this deal.

I love the sweet memories we are making--and my precious neighbors for treating K (and her brothers) with such kindness. What an impression they are making on these young hearts!

5 comments:

D said...

Good neighbors are sometimes worth more than the house!

Jenny said...

How neat! Good neighbors really are a special blessing.

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

The widow's might was considered the greatest gift of all by Jesus. She's learning the right idea and she'll fine tune it as she gets older.

How fortunate to have such wonderful neighbors!

Love Being A Nonny said...

Seems sharing with a neighbor is a lost art these days. My husband is big on being neighborly. We live in a neighborhood that is primarily older people. My husband takes them all fruit baskets or cheeseballs at Christmas. He delivers them personally to five or six homes. The love HE receives is far greater than the fruit baskets...your K is receiving great joy from giving. May she always have that gift.

Emmy said...

We definitely have the better end of the deal! We are so blessed living next to you!

Cutest carrots I think I have ever seen in my life! I taped the baggie with the carrots in it up on my wall in my kitchen... along with K's "hand signed note"... oh those precious letters spelling her name! I could kiss them ever time I pass by! Such a Joy!

Love you all! Emmy : )