Saturday, June 21, 2008

Oreo

We welcomed a four-legged friend into our family today. Our morning was spent at K-Mart gathering all of the necessary gear, then we went to the pound when adoption hours started at 1pm. As we were arriving, the woman in the parking space next to us got out of her vehicle with 3 kittens she was surrendering, 2 males and a female. We had previously decided on a female, so our choices were immediately narrowed.

The children went in with Daddy and again with me to make sure there wasn't a 'moment' with any of the other kitties. Alas, we settled on docile, 10 week old, Oreo. She is predominantly black, with white ears, feet, tummy and shoulders.


I expected a lot of energy, but so far, she is actually so calm I am a little worried. The children overwhelmed her with sweet attention for the first 30 minutes, then we found her a quiet place to rest and get to know her new surroundings. Each time I try to let the children play with her she hides under my legs. Maybe she just cannot match the level of energy already present in our home...

We have introduced her to our lab, Haley, and it was fairly uneventful. The children and I are thrilled to welcome a kitten--and Daddy is coming around. Particularly when he realized she may be the best mouse trap and/or rodent repellent we can find. (Yes, Stuart still seems to be on the loose.)

**Updated Sunday a.m. to add: Today she is much perkier! Apparently, she just needed to familiarize herself with her new surroundings (and energy level).

9 comments:

Amanda said...

I am happy to hear that they have a kitten now. She sounds a lot like Boo Boo. Remember that cat?

Love,
Aunt Boo

Mandy said...

Female cats usually aren't as cuddly as male cats... but that's probably going to be a good thing with 3 kids chasing after her ;)

I speak from experience, in my short 22 years my family has had no less than 15 cats... presently we have 3... and the male is always the cuddliest.

laurie said...

Oh, the girls will be excited to hear about Oreo, they love kittens. Can't wait to meet her! Bless her little heart when all 5 of them are chasing her :)

Tee said...

Females make the best hunters. Please, please don't have her declawed. It's like cutting your children's fingers off up to their first knuckle. It's very painful for the kitty and makes them insecure and can change their personality. I know she will make a wonderful pet. Can you tell I love cats? I've had males and females, I think it's all in how they are raised. My last two were brother and sister and they both were lap cats and loved to snuggle. Cats are great pets, just ask Oscar Snugggles, King of Tidewater, he's my fur baby and spoiled rotten. :-)

Erickson 5 said...

We LOVE cats here at our house. We have Toby and Dexter. I am thrilled to learn that you guys got a cat too. Growing up I had a cat named Oreo too. Great name. Best of luck with your new kitty. Kittens are the best.

Nicole

Trudy said...

A time they won't forget! Little Oreo will perk up after she adjusts a little. Can't wait to see a picture.

Amba said...

I'm so happy you guys got a kitten. And she is SO cute!! :)

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

We had a cat similarly colored when we lived in Norway (and she WAS adopted expressly for her mousing capabilities!) We called her Knickers 'cause she looked like she was wearing them - just like Oreo! She was the most affectionate cat - we often thought SHE thought she was a dog! And she took care of our mouse problems although I was less than thrilled with her loving presentation of the dead rodent at my feet, waiting for praise. I learned to extol that virtue (and then threw out the mouse!)

Enjoy your feline friend.

GE is me said...

How cute! Bet the children are loving her! I know my girls love my cat & when I say "my cat" she is my cat. So I have to be careful with them that they don't overwhelm her.
Have fun with her!
-Gail