Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Goodnight

Our goodnight routine is to adjourn upstairs at 7pm, baths every other night, change into jammies, play, then brush teeth, read a devotional story, pray and go to bed. I pray with each of them individually, then rock them to a little goodnight song we made up and tuck them into their cribs.

Each one is very particular about where their blankets need to be positioned--and of course, about having their lovies. K is attached to a stuffed "Lambie" that holds a small satin blanket, which she sucks on to fall asleep.

P snuggles with his "Night-night" a crocheted blanket made by his paternal great-grandmother, Nana. He wraps it around the back of his neck like a gym towel.

R has "Sunny" which is a stuffed yellow flower that has a music box inside, but we have chosen to believe he is actually a sunshine not a flower, since R is undeniably attached. He sleeps with Sunny positioned between his uncovered feet.

After each is put in bed and meticulously positioned and covered I get a chorus of "Good night, Mommy." In true 2 year-old fashion they say it over and over and OVER again, feeding off one another until I have acknowledged each with return "good night"s several times. Tonight, as I was heading back downstairs they were all 3 yelling "GOOD NIGHT, MOMMMEEE!" repeatedly, so I switched on the intercom and said very calmly "Good night, angels. Now shhhh, go to sleep."

Silence.

Then I heard P's little voice, "Hey, Mommy? Are you God?"

12 comments:

Wendy said...

So sweet, sounds like a great bedtime routine. I love the lovie put by uncovered feet. :)

Perri said...

those kids absolutely crack me up. You are so blessed.

Paulette said...

sooo precious, I love those babies. Sweet memories.
Goodnite to a sweet mommy as well......

Renee said...

Kids say the funniest things, and I love their "individualness" that shows in simple things like bedtime. And the picture is so cute.

Love Being A Nonny said...

I love that you appreciate those sweet, simple things. They are so very blessed!

Whitney said...

How absolutely adorable! Thanks for making me smile this morning!

Have a great day!
Whitney

Anonymous said...

brought tears to my eyes, this morning. soooo sweet! I can't wait to our girls start saying more than one word at a time. although, i don't want to rush it... they are growing up WAY too fast!

Barbie @ Mamaology said...

OH my goodness, that has to be one of the cutest things I've ever heard:) Your little Parker reminds me of my 5 year old Kiera!

primarycolors said...

Oh, tooo funny!

Becky said...

fabulous. Thank you for the giggle. You are so blessed with your comedic angels! :)

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness, that last sentence had me laughing out loud! How precious! You could turn this in to Reader's Digest and make money!!

I would love to hear that chorus of angels--they are beyond adorable:)

Momma-of-5 said...

That's hysterical!
I've only recently started writing down the funny things my kids say all day. That way, when I'm stressed or frustrated, I just read back the silliness and smile! =)