Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Why I Blog

Yesterday, we received news from "highly trained technical people" that they have not been successful in retrieving the contents of our hard drive. That would be the hard drive that held numerous personal spreadsheets, tax records, address lists AND 2 1/2 years worth of pictures. We performed a back up of the pictures about 9 months ago, so I have a disk that has now earned its place in my safe deposit box...but the last 9 months worth of pictures, unless they made it to the blog, seem to be gone.

Add this to my list of the reasons I am glad I started a blog.

Recently, I was in a conversation with some acquaintances who were basically making fun of the fact that I blog. They simply could not understand why I choose to put memories out on the world wide web for others to peruse (often anonymously and without comment). I have reflected on this and think there are a few good reasons (in addition to archiving things in a place other than my hard drive which might crash and take my memories with it.)

1. I went into preterm labor at 23 1/2 weeks. I spent 4 days on bedrest at home before being admitted to the hospital for 8 more weeks of bedrest. Shortly after delivering the babies, my health took a nosedive and I was intubated in the ICU, unconscious with a pulmonary edema and a serious peripartum cardiomyopathy. My 31 weeker preemies (whose weights ranged from 2 lb 6 oz to 3 lbs 3 oz) were in the NICU. My sweet husband and our parents bounced back and forth from the NICU to the ICU for a week. Friends, family, acquaintances and strangers rallied around our family with thoughts, cards, prayers, visits and support. The Internet, by virtue of e-mail and my father-in-law's website, became a lifeline for us. As my health returned, my husband & I discussed how overwhelmed we had been by the tremendous outpouring of support and agreed that we would be forever grateful to our community. My blog updates are truly an ongoing "Thank you" to those who pray(ed) and support(ed) us along the way.

2. I love blogging because it allows people to check on us when they feel led to rather than me needlessly filling up their In Boxes with pictures and updates. Whether folks want to check on us daily, weekly, monthly or rarely...is their business.

3. I get to share my testimony on an ongoing basis, while documenting these days for my children. I do not scrapbook. This is a time capsule for my children.

4. Writing challenges me to constantly slow down, drink it in and be reflective about our life and our blessings.

5. I have made some great, true friendships across the miles. This has truly been the biggest surprise of this endeavor. I started this blog as a one-way form of communication. I wasn't trying to meet people. I didn't start getting any comments for months. Yet, in recent months I have reconnected with old friends and made new friendships that add much to my life. As bloggers share their struggles, triumphs, everyday concerns and observations, my life is enriched and I am challenged in my growth as a Mom and a person. I admit, I used to think it was completely bizarre for people to form relationships through laptops. What I have realized through blogging is that I am getting to know other bloggers on a deeper more meaningful way than many casual acquaintances. I love that through blogging you can cut through the superficial small talk and get to know people by virtue of some of the deeper issues on their heart.

I am also aware people are able to fake their identity more easily through this medium. Therefore, I am still struggling with safety concerns. At what age will I decide that having my children's names and pictures on the web for any random person to see begins to feel like a threat to our safety? Is it really that different than the risks of being out in public places with my children and someone strange following us home...I don't know.

But for now, ESPECIALLY with a crashed hard drive, I am grateful for this little hobby of mine.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm one of those you don't know, but I read your blog from time to time.

Thank you for sharing your life and your adorable children.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I can so sympathize with you right now...my hard drive crashed last week and I only had 1/8 of my pictures saved. From my heart, I can only say I'm so sorry.

I stumbled upon your blog quite by accident and have continued reading throughout the months as a very, very rare poster. As you debate the merits of this public communication I'd just like to add that I find your posts refreshing and spiritually uplifting. Somehow this medium has allowed for connections (probably most often one-way) that can be very positive. And so I thank you for sharing.

Tamatha

HW said...

I read your blog daily because your precious children make me smile. I was one of those who was very cynical about blogging at first too. But now I find it cathartic and, like you, a legacy for my children. I know my daughter reads mine daily and that motivates me to put the words out there.
Also, we never know who we are reaching with our words, whether they comment or not. Further, I truly believe there are people out there praying for my family that would otherwise not be lifting us up if not for my blog. Who does not need another prayer warrior in this life?
All that to say, keep blogging.
And PLEASE find a way to post more pictures soon.

boomama said...

LOVE this post.

Amen.

:-)

Anonymous said...

I love this too! Great post! I started mine w/the same intentions and it has become so much more. I think it is so true what you said about it being great because it is more than small talk.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and love blogging as well. I love the thought that I am creating a scrapbook for my children through our blog. Sorry about the pictures and your hard drive!
Blessings, Kristie

Anonymous said...

Well, I agree with all of that... in fact, your blog was the reason I started mine. With no family in town with us, I have been thanked so many times for the pictures and the words. (And I've only just started!) I never write anything down, I don't scrapbook either... in fact Macey's babybook consists of a bunch of stuff in a big box (I know, sad!) There are so many things I have forgotten about those early days. But now I have a growing record.
You have mentioned before that you don't want to wait to tell the people you care about how you feel about them. Even though I wouldn't have a problem saying loving things to my family's faces, it's easier to write(type) those things- and that way everyone can read.
I email every one of Macey's friend's moms to ask permission to post a picture if they happen to be in one with Macey... there have been a handful who have been uncomfortable with it understandably. Even though I don't say what part of town we live in, her school or anyone else's names... but, I like to continue to believe the best of people.
And, I am sorry about the pictures. I have never backed ours up and I am will do that tonight :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for blogging! I love to read yours and am so thankful for my new blogging friends,too. I am amazed at how many like minded moms there are out there! It is encouraging for me. I hope I can be an encouragement for others.

Your story is one to be shared! I appreciate you constantly giving God the credit for everything. He saved your life and your babies!!! He is sovereign and worthy to be praised!

Kim

Anonymous said...

Jen - so sorry about your pictures (and tax junk) - what a pain.

I blog for the same reasons - people can keep up if they want and if they don't then they can ignore it. Saves me a lot of time on the phone telling the same thing again and again too!

I, for one -- among many are so glad you do blog. I have come to love those kiddos of yours. They are absolutely precious.

Andi and I were talking about you this morning as Sophie was entering day 3 of non-stop crying - we were in awe that you are still sane!

keri said...

jen...i'm so sad for your loss of photos!!! i would have cried, seriously. and it is now motivating me to save all my photos on DVD!

well said on everything else. i'm going to give a friend of mine this link because she makes fun of katie and i for blogging. and you have explained it better than i ever could! :)

Blair's Mom & Dad said...

My hard drive crashed recently too (what's up with crashing hard drives in rome???) I lost pics, old emails, addresses and phone numbers, some important documents AND my journals- it was and is heartbreaking because they contained so many memories not just from Blair but also from my childhood, my father's death, meeting Stephen and of course our struggle to have children and then out life since sweet Blair has arrived. I am tryhing to re-create, but it is hard. I actually updated Blair's blog right afterwards, but then I stopped. After reading your post, I think that I might start updating again.

Thank you for your post, and please do not stop blogging. As you know, I love your blog!!!

Anonymous said...

You don't know me either and quite frankly, I just love your blog and am thankful that you share with the us tidbits of your life.

Kind of like a book right? Except you chose to write your "book" on the web.

Sorry to hear about your photo and information loss... Now I have to get home and do a serious BACKUP.

Post away girl... post away.

Anonymous said...

I do not have a blog, but I read blogs and when I leave a comment, I always use my name. Reading blogs of other mothers like myself has been a life line for me. Reading your blog has reminded me to slow down and enjoy my children more because I tend to get wrapped up in my to do list. I have a husband that works many hours and so, you inspire me in the way that you seem to handle that. So many times I have read about how people have and handle difficult situations, and it has so ministered to me. And so, I thank you for sharing.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for all the love!!! Ya'll are awesome. I didn't mean to sound like I was asking for compliments...and don't worry I plan to keep on blogging. It is a lifeline for me, too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment! It's great to be back. I got an email from her last week and replied, but we haven't actually spoken. I need to put her # in my phone.

I'm soooooo sorry about the loss of the pics. Breaks my heart for you and I hope you can recover some of them.

I'm also sorry about the comments about blogging. You are such an inspiration of joy and appreciation of life (not to mention such a talented writer). Keep it up!
Oh! I talked to Em today and I hate it I'll be at work the day y'all come into town. I'd love to see the kiddos (and you, too :-))!
Amy

Renee said...

I'm scared now. I've been telling Michael that we have to back up our pictures (almost 4 years worth), but I've yet to do it. I'm just waiting for my computer to die as punishment. Thanks for the prompting to get on the ball!

Kate said...

I always enjoy reading your encouraging posts. And those precious little children of yours - ahhhh - soooo cute!

Anonymous said...

I used to think blogging was silly, but now that I do it, I love it! And making friends with people like you and Gwen and others is such a sweet benefit!

Katherine@Raising Five said...

I agree - it makes me slow down and focus on what is really important to me. The friendships were a big surprise to me, too. But what a nice one! So glad I get to know you across the miles!