Saturday, May 26, 2012

Finding Gifts

Three enthusiastic 8 year olds woke up ready to celebrate bright & early this morning. We forced them to ingest at least a little breakfast, then started what may become a new birthday tradition--a scavenger hunt for their gifts. (This was all before 7am, mind you.)


As they gleefully dashed from clue to clue--inside our home and out-- I saw a metaphor for life in the years to come. I hope their pursuit of the gifts God has for them through life is this enthusiastic. I pray that they will slow down and pay attention to the clues God gives them through His Word and their personal relationship with Him.
And as I lifted my camera to capture them running around in the back I inadvertently snapped this shot of my husband looking on. (I only wish it showed the excited expression on his face as he proudly watched them discover the gifts he had provided for them.)

A father's love. His desire to provide good gifts for his children. His delight in watching them receive his provision.

Such a poignant reminder.




For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?  If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! Matthew 7:8-11 NIV


The rest of the day consisted of time with loved ones, a pool party...normal 8 year old birthday stuff.

As I downloaded the photos from our day, this series from the scavenger hunt really spoke to me about God's love and provision for His children. The images were a reminder that I must continue to pray for my children to know and follow hard after Him. I have hope for the years to come and the 'gifts' that will be discovered during this adventure of life.

And as if to make sure I got the message loud and clear, during bedtime prayers tonight my R stopped me in my tracks. He & I were discussing something he prayed anxiously about a couple of nights ago, that 'worked itself out' today. As I pointed out to R that God had taken care of his fear, he grinned. With the wisdom of a soul much older than his eight years, he proclaimed:
"You know, Mom, sometimes God doesn't answer your prayers right away because He wants to wait and see what you really need."

From the mouths of babes. 
  
The first 8 years as parents of these three has been full of gifts and surprises. I can only imagine what the next eight will bring. But I know WHO will bring them. I trust the Author. I can't wait to see what He has in store.

No comments: