Thursday, November 17, 2011

Hearts for Guatemala

While on an overnight without children in 2007, my husband and I spent some time discussing and crafting a "family vision." Call us geeky if you will, but it was a challenging exercise in being intentional. So many things in life seem to 'just happen.' Far too many people spend their lives merely responding. It was a special thing to sit around a table prayerfully and thoughtfully discussing the 18 years we have been given to lay a foundation in our children's lives and what we felt like the Lord wanted us to commit to doing during that time.

To be honest, I don't remember everything that was included in our final paper...the discussion proved more meaningful than the actual document we produced. However, I definitely remember many of our non-negotiables: our Christian faith, unconditional love, honoring our marital vows, being debt free and taking our children on at least one family mission trip a year.

The children and I have accompanied my husband as he served as camp doc for Young Life several times during their infant and toddler days. This past Spring we took the leap to foreign missions, with a service trip to the Dominican Republic. I was concerned that they might be too young for it to make a difference in their hearts. While it was certainly not without its challenges, the trip definitely impacted them in a meaningful way.

Two weeks ago we met with a missionary friend of ours regarding plans for 2012, a Spring Break trip to see the work Food for the Hungry is doing in Guatemala. As we discussed the agenda/emphasis options for the trip (seeing how a missionary family lives, medical care, microbusiness opportunities for the impoverished so they can better sustain themselves, Bible school for the children in remote mountain villages, visiting orphanages...) one particular project really resonated with my children--a clean water project named Eli's Wish.

The simplicity of it all gave them a clear mission--many Guatemalan children are malnourished because they don't drink water. They don't drink water because it is contaminated and gives them diarrhea. For approximately $40, water filtration systems can be installed in a home providing them with clean water. Even a first grader can get it!

My children (especially K) have really taken this need to heart. As we have looked at prices of toys they have compared that to how many families could have water. Clean water for the people in Guatemala has become a frequent prayer request. Ideas for how to raise money are periodically discussed (with no prompting from me) in the car. God is already working on their hearts and the trip is 4 months away!

But you only imagine how my heart was blessed when I received the following e-mail tonight:

"I had to share with you our dinner conversation. K told (my son) today that there are people in Guatemala that don't have clean water. He took 2 dollars out of his saved allowance to give to K for their water. Too sweet. He would die if he knew I shared but I just had to. So if K gives you a few dollars from (my son), you'll know what it's for."

When I read it to my girl she smiled and said."Great! I spent a lot of time at recess telling people about it today. There are still a few that don't know, but my friends are going to help me tomorrow so everyone in first grade will know. Do you think I should have a popcorn and movie party for whoever raises the most money?"

R then excitedly suggested it not just be the first grade. "We should get the whole school to raise money. Every class can have a contest!"

I was blown away!! God is at work in little 7 year old hearts. My girl is bold in her love and care for a people she has never met. I understood Matthew 19:14 in a whole new way.

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

5 comments:

C R said...

One word: Amazing

Diane Tohline said...

This blessed me on so many levels.
That you and your husband intentionally crafted a vision for your family- and though you don't remember the document - you know the 5 main areas of focus. IMPRESSIVE.

I admire your goal to take an annual mission trip. That is so awesome.

K's gifts as an influencer is already putting her in a place that God is using. I love R's idea of getting the school involved.

That can so happen-and what an impact this can make on so many levels.

It reminded me of a post I wrote with stats of things children have done to make an impact at a young age- http://dianetohline.com/kids-who-dream/

So excited for all of you.
Diane

Allison said...

This brought tears to my eyes. What a blessing your family is to so many. I am truly inspired by the thoughtfulness of your sweet children. Thanks for sharing your heart with us.

Lindsey said...

This post totally warmed my heart...and convicted me a little too. Thankful for both!

Bethany said...

So, so amazing. Your kids are fantastic- you are already teaching them to have a heart for the needy.

Also, it's interesting that you are going to Guatemala. It seems to be everywhere lately- my sister and I just sent off our applications to go to Guatemala in the summer. It will be her first mission trip!