Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Parenting Without Guarantees

"God never called us to be the Holy Spirit for our children. Our calling is to be parents. The work of the Holy Spirit is already being done quite well and it has been from eternity past.

Read the Bible and it's not hard to see that God works in such a way that keeps us from boasting. This is not to put us down, but to set us free. If parents and parenting were truly the deciding factors in a child's faith, we would be inclined to feel proud when it all turned out well. And we would blame ourselves mercilessly when things turned out badly.

So to all proud parents, be careful of your pride. And to all heartbroken parents, don't wallow in blame and shame. Your child belonged to God long before he or she belonged to you."

-Mark Crumpler, Peachtree Presbyterian Church (Atlanta, GA)

My mother-in-law subscribes to a devotional from her church that she frequently forwards to me. Today's message was such a wonderful reminder that I wanted to record it here and pass it on. I really encourage you to go read the whole thing. (in the drop down box in the top right select 11/16/11- Guidance, Not Guarantees)

While there is clearly no 'formula' for perfect parenting and/or raising children that never break our hearts, I really loved the three questions his post concluded with (taken from Deuteronomy 6.)

"First, what do I truly love? Before Moses said anything about passing faith to the children he told the nation to love God. So what is the deepest affection of my own heart? (See 6:4-5)

Second, am I living a relationship with God or merely practicing a religion? Do the words and ways of God permeate my daily life or am I a weekend church-attendee? (See 6:6-9)

Third, do I have a story to tell? When and if my children tell me they don't understand what all the God stuff is about, will I have a story to help them see what it means and how it works? (See 6:20-21)."

-Mark Crumpler, Peachtree Presbyterian Church (Atlanta. GA)


Challenging words...such a wonderful reminder. In the successes and the failures, God is writing my children's story, just as He is writing mine.

I must follow Him and trust Him to work out His purposes in our lives.

2 comments:

powers family said...

These are important truths that I think we can't hear often enough. Thank you for sharing.

Your post also reminded me of an article that I recently read and keep thinking about. The writer gives a poignant and beautiful perspective:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/opinion/sunday/notes-from-a-dragon-mom.html?_r=1

Samantha said...

Great post! Thanks for the timely reminder to boast only in my God.