Monday, April 11, 2011

The Girl at the Traffic Light

Yesterday afternoon, K and I were in the car together--just the two of us. As we sat quietly at a traffic light, K said tenderly, "Mama, why is that lady crying? Do you think someone in her family has cancer?"

I looked to my left and noticed the woman in question. She was a young--maybe 22. Her blonde curls were pulled up in a loose bun. She was wearing a tank top and had a bicycle on a rack on the back of her red SUV. Her windows were rolled down and she was sobbing. Her shoulders shook as she tried to cover her face and wipe away tears as they fell.

"She was just talkin' on her phone, then she hung up and started crying, Mama."
Must have been a break up. I thought. Bless her heart.
"Do you think someone she knows jus' died? Or maybe her Mom and Dad are getting one of those dee...what are they called again?"
My mind was wandering. How do I model compassion best for my sweet hearted little girl?
"We should pray for her," I offered.
The light changed to green and the woman turned left as we continued straight.
"Yeah," K replied, "Then maybe God will whisper into her heart that people are praying for her."

It almost brought tears to my eyes. I don't recall ever using that phrase or imagery with K. She came to that conclusion at 6 years old based on her own developing faith. God is revealing himself to her--His compassion and care for the details of our lives and hearts--and she is responding. My girl is starting to get it. What an amazing blessing to see how God is at work in her little heart! Truly, the faith of a child is precious.

I don't now what the real story was with the young woman at the traffic light--but God was able to use her pain to work a sweet lesson in our lives without her ever realizing it. I love the way God works in that He burdened us, strangers, to pray for her.

We prayed for her yesterday afternoon and I have lifted her heart to Him a couple of times today as she has come to mind. I do pray God has whispered comfort to her heart!

7 comments:

Arlene G said...

What a sweet moment between you and K. So glad she has such a tender heart toward others.

ChelseaSalomone said...

This made tears come to my eyes. What a wonderful, kind hearted person you are. I am so blessed just to read your blog. What great little people of faith you are shaping.

MLS said...

How precious to see The Holy Spirit in such a young girl's heart! It is a blessing to see how you are modeling immediate and specific prayer for your children!

Kristen said...

I found your blog through a friend's and haven't commented before, but I just wanted to say that I really love this post! As a 23-year-old who has cried in her car at a few stop lights in the past, it's really cool to know that there are people out there that would take the time to pray for someone in that situation. Your daughter sounds precious :)

Ashley said...

Simply amazing! Love sweet K and the heart she has what a display to the world with even a young heart on fire for the Lord! Blessings to you all and the sweet girl you all prayed for!

sherene said...

Very sweet girl, bless her heart too.:))

His Doorkeeper said...

This just made my heart want to sing! You are doing such a wonderful job (along with the Lord's help, of course) raising your children to hear the Lord speak to their own hearts. I pray for you as you continue to serve Him and your family with His guidance!
Made my day....Thanks for sharing!