Friday, March 11, 2011

What I Know

When I signed up for this mission trip to the Dominican Republic, there was whole lot I did not know.

I did not know it would involve leaving the morning before a fundraising event for 1200 that I had been working on for hundreds of hours.

I did not know it would involve Hepatitis A shots and several precautions against malaria and cholera.

I did not know it would involve my husband growing prickly facial hair for the month before we departed because a couple of guys in their 20s dared him to (an act of solidarity/a fast from shaving)

I did not know it would involve leaving at 4am and returning home at 2am.

I did not know it would involve completely unplugging from technology and electronic communication for 8 days.

There have already been some very pleasant surprises as well.

I did not know it would spur my children to pray for and care about a people group they had never met.

I did not know it would inspire my 6 year olds to save $84 of their own money--$1 at a time--over the last 6 months.

I did not know it would bring such a spring to my husband's step to see his vision of mission work as a family finally come to fruition.

I was thinking tonight about the comparison to marriage and parenting. When we 'sign up' for the role of wife or mother there is a whole lot we don't know. I never knew being a wife would bring with it the sting of hurting someone I care so deeply about or the inexplicable peace and security of knowing how much you are cherished. I did not sign up for the chaos of triplets, or know that motherhood would really feel like my heart was walking around in several little bodies.

What I did know, however, is that I love and serve a God who knows the whole story...the for better and the for worse...and that He will be with me through it all.

I have no idea what the next week holds...but I know WHO holds the next week. And that is enough.

8 comments:

Liz said...

Can't wait to hear about the trip when you return!!!! Praying for your family from Whitehouse, TX!

Malu said...

What I really know is that... wonderfull are the feet from the ones who preach the peace . I am already praying for you and your lovely family. Lord, let us know the nearness of Your presence, and the fullness of Thy power - for Thine, oh Lord, is the greatness and the power, and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth is Thine. Thine is the kingdom, oh Lord, and Thou art exalted as head above all. Amen.

God bless you ,
Malu

Mary Lou said...

Praying for you and you sweet family. Praying a hedge of protection around each one of you and for His peace and blessings to abound for all of you as you do what He has told you to do. Wow, what a great life lesson for your children and you all as well.

dee said...

What I know- that you are a precious family. Praying for you all. I cannot wait to hear about the week!

Ivey's Mom said...

There's a divine reason God never gives us even a small glimpse of our future, then we probably never would 'sign up'! The grand glory of FATe and FAITH.

Ashley said...

God is so good and I am certain the 8 days away from technology and with the love ones will prove to be one full of stories and blessings! Praying for safe travels!

GE is me said...

Jmom! Here I am, I've been absent for awhile again. And I return & you're getting ready to leave for D.R. Obviously God wanted me to be praying for you & your family & so that is what I will be doing. Praying as the Lord leads; praying for wisdom, protection, peace & ALL that our God has for you & for the Dominicans. May God bless you & keep you safe as you travel to do his work. Via con Dios.

Mindy said...

I think you are already gone, but wanted to tell you that I am going to be praying for you and your sweet family this coming week! May God bless you as you do HIS work!!