Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Our Stories

Several weeks ago I was having a heart to heart with my very wise friend Cabell when she spoke a truth to me that has been reverberating in my heart ever since.

"Something can be part of your story without becoming your identity."

Read that again and let it settle in.

There are events, mistakes, diagnoses, disappointments, relationships that make up the chapters of our novels...but they don't have to become the title. There is much talk of 'defining moments' in our lives, but as a believer, shouldn't our defining moment be the death and resurrection of our Savior? That, truly, is the moment that changed everything for us for eternity.

All the other stuff--tragic, trying, terrifying, shaping, refocusing--it is a part of the great story of our lives. It is all written on the pages of our book. But our story isn't over 'til its over. And our identity? Well, it is multi-faceted according to Scripture.

It is tempting to think that this experience, this diagnosis, this circumstance, this choice carries more weight that it does. We serve a big, powerful God. He has a plan for us (and for our children). He is the Author of our Salvation and the One who writes our story.

May we not rush ahead and jump to a conclusion with every plot twist. May we instead trust the very One who gave us life.

There has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the God who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish on the very day Christ Jesus appears.
Philippians 1:6 The Message

5 comments:

"The Mrs." said...

Thank you so much for your words. I am going through a tough time with the loss of my son's twin and these words really spoke to me. God is good!

Surrounded-By-Boys said...

Oh, this might just be one of my favorite posts from you!! i love it!! So often, I'm guilty of jumping to a conclusion when my life hits a speed bump or takes a turn.....I LOVE That HE decides our story!!!

Missy June said...

I recently became a single mother - a title I never wanted. But I'm determined not to let that be what defines me. I may not have wanted to be single, but I've always wanted to be "Mom," so I'm being the very best that I can, and God is blessing us even in our struggles. He is SO good, SO faithful.

I wrote about disappointment defining me recently: http://farfromflawlesslife.blogspot.com/2011/02/does-my-disappointment-define-me.html

Cuz I'm the mama! said...

Hello. I found your blog through another blog I read often. I have spent the last hour combing through your posts. You are really speaking to me. Thank you!! I have twin daughters (17 months old) and my husband is in his cheif year of surgical residency. You have clearly been there, done that. We are emarbking on a new journey in June as he will be completing 2 more fellowship years. This is a LONG journey and it's nice to know someone who has been there and survived - especially with multiples. I feel very blessed to have come across your blog. I hope to check back often.

Unknown said...

J - I have already emailed this post to three other people and read it over myself multiple times. God is absolutely hammering this powerful truth into my heart and mind these days. I am so thankful for your blog and for the way you use it to always point the glory back to God!