Monday, January 03, 2011

Problems

My children go back to school tomorrow. Prior to the break, one of mine was having a particularly tough time with his conduct in the classroom. Tonight as we were getting ready for bed I asked him if he was looking forward to getting back to school tomorrow.
He said he was.
"Are you going to work hard to listen and follow instructions tomorrow?" I asked (almost rhetorically)
"I don't know yet," he replied.
I almost choked.
"What do you mean, buddy?"
"I just don't know yet, Mommy. My brain gets messed up sometimes."
Where is the chapter on this in my Mommy manual? I took a deep breath.
"Well, that's why we talk about it ahead of time. Sometimes you have to decide to do the right thing and pray God will help you."

He clenched his eyes closed immediately and started praying:
"Dear God, please help me listen to my teachers and pay attention tomorrow and please help the hungry people have food and please help everyone in my family with our problems. In Jesus name. Amen."

"That was very sweet. What problems are you worried about for our family, honey?" I pressed.
"You know, Mommy. You pray God will help you with your problems. Every day we have math problems. I pray God will help us figure them out."

I love that boy!

5 comments:

Pam said...

Laughing out loud. I miss this age. Pam

Michelle said...

Oh, you have made me happy, I thought I was the only one with a boy that says he is naughty and impulsive b/c his brain is messed up. Here's hoping that both our boy's brains behave tomorrow.

k and c's mom said...

Those little boys who are oh-so-full-of-life? They are always (secretly) my favorite students. Here's to a wonderful second half of the year in your classrooms and mine.

Amber Benge said...

What a sweet boy! I love hearing what kids come up with, especially during prayers!

Bill Yates said...

I have just "stumbled" upon this blog and I think it is really fantastic! You are a very good writer.