Sunday, January 02, 2011

Growing Up

This is not Neverland. Kids grow up. In my brain I know this is true, yet sometimes when I look back at photos I have snapped (like this one from the backyard yesterday) it takes my breath away.Who are those big kids and where are my babies?

This age never ceases to amaze me because depending on the situation, I get flashbacks to my 4 year olds (when we are tired, hungry or are required to sit still and quietly) or sneak previews of age 16 (who is that little person with those mature observations?) One minute they are asking me deep questions about racism the next I am correcting potty talk. Silliness abounds.

Each day (moment) I face a choice: Do I emphasize their strengths and celebrate the areas where they are maturing and showing great strength of character, talent or skill? Or do I zone in on the areas where they seem to continually get tripped up--to help them shore up those faults before they get even more out of hand? The right answer seems to be the fine art of doing both with grace and love. (It overwhelms me just to type that sentence!)

I have to remind myself that much of the next decade (or more) will find my children trying on different attitudes, actions and characters to gauge the response they get from the world. Much like the endless games of dress up we have enjoyed in the last several years, I may find myself waiting with bated breath on the other side of the door to see which character will emerge for the scene at play.

I think it is important to prayerfully consider what my role will be...audience? stage manager? wardrobe? props? director? caterer? clean up crew? all of the above?

I know I am not the script writer. Some one else has already handled that job...

Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139:16

Yes, I must remind myself that He has written their story...just as He so creatively wrote them into mine. It is hard to not want to snatch the pen away sometimes--to delete the painful scenes that lie ahead and rewrite them in a way that suits my fancy. That is not my role.

Lord, once again, I recommit my parenting to You. I am so thankful for the time you have given us together as a family in these last two weeks. I am reminded that YOU have a plan for these children. They were YOUR idea. May I seek YOUR face first each day before planting any kisses on theirs. As much as I would love an advance copy of the script, I surrender to Your authority. Help me trust You more every day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this post!
You are so blessed.
Have a great day.