Saturday, November 27, 2010

On Ice

My children have had a very long Thanksgiving vacation. (We are on day 8 of a 10 day break!) In an effort to keep our little balls of energy from climbing the walls, we decided to try ice skating for the first time today.

It seemed like such a warm holiday memory-making idea...until we stepped out on the ice and cold hard reality slapped us in the face (or in my case the tailbone...ouch!). Getting our wobbly, first-timers to settle in was a feat.I love this picture because of the look on my husband's face. He is incredibly cool headed and steady. To capture him looking remotely ruffled is a rare thing. Then again, look at the motion of my boys' feet.

Just when he got them stabilized, K made her entrance.

Eventually they all got their footing and we really did have a great time.

As we were skating I was thinking about what I learn as I teach my children new things. It is really challenging for me. I struggle a bit with patience sometimes. Being outnumbered in a stressful situation where I feel unsteady myself is a set up for some real character development. :-) Additionally, each of my children learn very differently, so a group lesson is not the best solution.

All three hugged the outer wall for the first half hour. Trying to get them to venture off the wall and attempt skating on their own was a real challenge. The wall was stable, predictable and steady. Sure, the scenery never changed, but they were safe. Such a picture of human nature!

Eventually, I was able to convince them each to hold onto my hand, not the wall, so we could work on balance and a bit of a rhythm. It required courage and trust.

K seemed to get the hang of it first. She is quite coordinated, courageous and independent. Her 'slow and steady' attitude paid off as she made impressive progress. She wasn't as interested in holding hands with her Daddy or me. She wanted to master it on her own. That independent, hard working spirit!

Watching R work it out was a flashback to watching him learn to walk (or scramble as we referred to it). It wasn't pretty or graceful, but he got it down. The thing that made the single greatest difference was spotting a friend of his from his old school at the rink. Immediately he did what he had to do to keep up with the 'big kid' (1st grader). I was reminded again how important it will be that he learn to choose the right role models and peers.

P could seriously be his own reality show. Watching that funny kid is pure entertainment. Everything about his reactions (overreactions) is pure drama--larger than life. He got to be pretty steady--until the minute he wasn't--his overcompensating reactions only made things worse. That precious love enjoyed himself thoroughly, but wanted to be holding a parent's hand at all times.

Learning to skate was dangerous--much like growing up. K fell right in front of P causing him to skate over her finger and slice it a little (thankfully her gloves provided a good deal of protection). P and I took two big spills together. Each time he fell with such force that he pulled me down too. His head and my fanny were both feeling a little worse for wear as we left the rink. R bit it (literally) falling face-first on the ice as his grand finale.

Just last night my husband and I were discussing the fact that one or more of our children would likely break our hearts at some point. We weren't being pessimistic, just realistic about the things we see in the lives of parents a bit further down the road. We didn't really have any solution--just acknowledging that this world is not perfect and that loving so completely makes your heart very vulnerable.

Today's trip to the rink was the unintentional metaphor I needed. (Thank you, God.) The instruction, the fun, the aches and pains, the necessary teamwork with my husband, the smiles, the tears, the different ways my children handled the exact same scenario, watching them blossom and fall---it is all a part of the experience.

What a thrilling, terrifying, rewarding and painful experience. I wouldn't want to miss this!

No comments: