Sunday, November 28, 2010

Traditions

We spent today getting our home decorated (inside at least) for Christmas. In the past few weeks it has become apparent to me that this is the age where my children start really remembering 'their childhood.' I am hearing a lot more of things along the lines of: "Mom, remember how we always...."

Today as we started pulling boxes out of the attic and opening them up, K & R were going berzerk. They would literally squeal and hi-five as they found various decorations. R really was hoarse at one point. They dressed up as a reindeer (K) and an elf (R) to get in the true spirit of helping.

(As a side note, P was invited to participate but he chose to turn our outdoor play set into a sudsy Wipeout course instead. Unfortunately he used my favorite boutique Christmas hand soap. No worries though, he used the excess to fill his water gun up and wash our cars. They are currently a lovely scent of Thymes Frasier Fir--too bad it is the exterior not the interior.)

Witnessing the evidence that our activities are making a lasting impression is exhilarating and frightening all at the same time. These really are the days. They are going to remember a lot of this stuff.

I once heard someone say that every person's testimony begins with the sentence: "I grew up in a ___ home." Our job as parents is to define the adjective(s) used in that blank. I don't know about you but the thought of going that alone intimidates me! I need God's help--His wisdom, His patience, His endurance. Parenting is clearly a marathon not a sprint. As I looked around my home this afternoon---9 straight days of children out of school and rediscovering their toys---my chest tightened a little. I adore them, but Mama needs a break to restore some order around here. :-)

I needed the nudge from God to remind me that a spic and span house can wait one more day. Their final day of break tomorrow will involve a chore list. :-) I am sure one day they will remember that too!

1 comment:

MLS said...

Jennifer,

I am so thankful for your writing. I am encouraged to live a life with more perspective and truth because of the Lord's work in your life. Thank you for sharing with us!

Lauren
Birmingham, Al