Saturday, October 30, 2010

Happy Halloween 2010

"Dark Vader" bearing his red "light saver," the man eating shark, and the yellow storm trooper (Please get a close-up look at his nose up against the plexiglass of that mask--hee hee)

This Halloween changed things for me. My children had far more say in things this year. I didn't get to plan a clever theme for my children and come up with creative costumes. We were a 100% store bought motley crew. I hate that I can't see any of their sweet faces...and yet I could hear their laughter.

They chose their own costumes. They went trick or treating with good friends and felt like big kids. Their candy bags were brimming to the point that P announced, "I need to go home now because my bag is too full of candy!"

When we got home tonight they collapsed in their beds and were sound asleep before we could complete their prayers...absolutely worn out from an afternoon and evening of pure childhood fun. Kissing those sweet exhausted heads good night left me feeling full and satisfied.

The control freak in me is dying a slow death, but it is good. As the adults sat in the back of our hayride tonight and watched the children bounding up to front doors and dashing back gleefully with their plunder, one of the Mom's remarked, "Have you stopped to think about what is going through their little minds right now?" I honestly hadn't thought much about it through their eyes. They were having a blast!

Again I am reminded that all of my 'doing' is too often about how the memory will look through my eyes. What joy to stop and consider the simplicity of trick or treating at six, in a costume you chose, staying up past your bedtime with your friends.

My friend Stephanie sent me a great email in reply to yesterday's shark post. It concluded with a line I have pondered all afternoon: "Here's to memories that stick hard to their hearts - the ones that they come up with themselves!!!"

Amen.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Adorable costumes!!!!