Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Field Trip Back in Time

Today my trio had a wonderful day filled with old fashioned fun, courtesy of the Kindergarten field trip to an old school house and church constructed in the late 1800s.

Everyone dressed in period costumes as they learned about cotton,

"churned" butter,sang songs,

sack raced, shot marbles,
pinned tails on possums,
and enjoyed a lively game of red rover.
Picnic lunches served in pails were enjoyed under sunny skies and with good friends.
A mighty fine history lesson indeed!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the one with today's water bottle in the picture!
I would have loved to live during those times!
Do your children watch Little House ?

Leslie Ruth Petree said...

Oh my word, it's a scene straight out of "Little House on the Prairie"! Adorable. Hands on experiences- one of the best ways to do education.

Jennifer said...

We have rented old episodes of LH and they enjoyed it. Last year their teacher read it aloud during rest time.

Pam said...

love this! A great day for sure!

k and c's mom said...

WONDERFUL!!! Wish I could do more of this in my classroom. (Loved the pictures and the expressions on those precious faces.)

storey said...

super cool!

Anonymous said...

What a neat experience! I love history stuff like that....those lunchpails are darling.
I also loved your post from yesterday titled Author and Perfecter. It touched me as I too deal with those same issues in wanting to train up my 4 and 3 year olds. Thanks for your insight and heart.

La Familia Garcia said...

aahhh...back to the simple life...your kids look adorable dressed up like that

Sunni said...

What a neat trip! I'm sure they will never forget it.

Mindy said...

OH, I used to work at a camp where we taught a class about how the "old days" were lived. We made butter, too.
Loads of fun. We didn't dress in costume, though. HOW FUN!