Monday, August 02, 2010

Lunch Notes

The last few days have been spent ordering backpacks, getting haircuts, signing forms, organizing uniforms, purchasing school supplies and making dental appointments. We are counting the days until Kindergarten starts.

One of the last items on my list was actually inspired by my sweet friend, Emily, whose son is also starting Kindergarten in a couple of weeks. She and I both have a strong desire to encourage our children during the day to be salt and light in their non-religious school environments. A couple of weeks ago we started talking about lunch box notes with Bible verses on them. I did a quick google search for resources in a stolen moment this afternoon and found that there seem to be quite a few options.

I would like to be able to print my own rather than purchase a set, as I have three children and would like to try to have the flexibility to do same verses or different ones depending on what was going on within our family. I also like the ability to chose different translations for verses, so the children are most likely to understand.

(And I am a control freak :-) It would certainly be nice to find a great template.

In the past I have written things on their baggies or their fruit--'banana notes' are a family favorite. Due to their age (and inability to read) these were generally simple 2-3 words notes or silly drawings. Now that I have proficient readers, I would like to go a little deeper than a banana peel might allow.

So, I thought I would open up the comments for input. Anybody have great suggestions/ideas/resources for packing the Word in your little one's lunch?

9 comments:

j... said...

my mom was "famous" all through my schooling (elementary through high school) for packing "lunch treats" for me AND my friends. what quickly became most popular, however, were the "center pieces" she'd manage to throw in my lunch pail. she's write a note on a doile & find some stand-alone object (foil-covered flower, mini-cereal box as a treat, etc.) that i'd put in the middle of the table in the cafeteria. i'm sure kinder's wouldn't quite understand the full concept, but writing the notes on things like doile's & stickers (preprinted) on disposable napkins or apples became something i couldn't miss :) it was SUCH a treat to know she was thinking of me throughout my school day!

Bailey's Leaf said...

What about word puzzles? You know, the puzzles that have a letter key? 1=A, 2=B . . . My 6 year old K- loves those!

k and c's mom said...

I had a student whose mother would put photographs in the lunch box with word "balloons" coming out of the mouths (like on cartoons) with encouraging words to her daughter. Some of the photos were hilarious shots of different family members. The mom would put the photos in a Ziplock bag, and the word "balloons" were on Post It notes so the pictures could be used again. I always loved seeing the encouraging words and verses she sent--just like she (or whoever was in the picture) was speaking them.

Heather said...

I do post it notes and stick it to their sandwich bag or another bag. I try to pay attention to what is going on in his world and write according to that or prayers I pray over them in 1 to 2 sentences. Always letting him know how proud I am of him. This year I get to do it for both of my boys and each day I pray I send them the words they need for that day!

Liz said...

Love this! I've seen lots of those lunch box notes sets you can buy through Lifeway or CBD, etc, but they get pricey really quick when you're packing 3 lunches. (Me, too!) I end up just writing a note on a special notepad bought just for that (colorful paper, cheap notepad from the dolloar store) or write on their napkin.

Traci said...

When mine took their lunches I wrote them notes and drew them little pictures on their napkins- now that they are older I use post-it notes and put them in their text books, notebooks, gym bags- someplace I know they'll get it during the day. My oldest, a boy, is 14 and now he does it for us- he puts post-its in my checkbook, in my planner, even on my debit card! It's a really sweet by-product of this small token of love.

The Ryans said...

My Mom just wrote us a note on our napkin...it did the job just fine. We knew we were being thought of and prayed for.

Leanne said...

I'm not sure the level of comprehension of the Bible that your children have, but I will assume that it is higher than normal....

That said, I do have a few Scriptures that seemed appropriate, for themselves and for any close friends they might make and save over the years.

Psalm 34:22
Ephesians 5:1-2
Galatians 6:2
Galatians 5:22-23
Galatians 5:25
Ephesians 4:32
Ephesians 5:1-2
Ephesians 6:13-17 is fun for my kids. We sing a song as we pretend to put on each piece of Armor and it really helps them remember what each piece is for.
2 Timothy 3:14-15
Hebrews 4:12 is neat for boys!
Psalm 18:29-30

I'll close this comment now.....I hope these verses help you out. I think it will be helpful for your kids to see and hear the word of God like this every day, too.

Take Care!

S said...

It's not pre-printed, but there are round labels (in the baby department at WalMart) that are made to stick to anything but come off when you wash it (or put in the dishwasher.) Great idea to attach to lunch containers without having to take the time to peel it off later on. I bought some but haven't actually used them yet.