Monday, March 08, 2010

Real Life


I took this picture yesterday afternoon. When I looked at the image in the camera I fell in love with it. It doesn't exactly scream "Christmas card photo." The children are mismatched, rumpled, filthy...not even looking at the camera in some cases. Bandit is escaping. The decoy K is proudly holding up has been mangled by an overexcited retriever. It is not the composition of the photo I loved--it is that it seems to capture the essence of real life on a Sunday afternoon.

We were filthy in the middle of a field with nothing to entertain us but each other..and it was good.

I started thinking about how my favorite pictures lately are the ones of everyday moments. Hair is messy, tummies hanging out of shirts...

Hair and clothing covered in grass...

But those smiles are authentic. This is real life. Real life isn't always posed on the beach in matching outfits. Real life is messy and sometimes mismatched. Real life has scrapes and bruises to go with those hearts bursting with love. Real life vacillates between laughter and tears--occasionally both at the same time.

I am so thankful for the maturity to recognize that real life very seldom looks like you thought it would. It is generally not worthy of a magazine spread. No, it is far richer than that!

I couldn't help but be reminded of this quote from The Velveteen Rabbit.

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."
"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.
"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."
"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
~From the Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams


P.S. I am pretty sure real life also sometimes involves things like feeding your puppy water from a little red potty because it just happens to be handy in the back of the car.

9 comments:

Pam said...

Beautiful post!

Pam

twiceasnice said...

You always make me smile so big! Your thoughts are so mine tonight. I, like you, always had my twins (boy/girl) match until they were 5. Kindergarten stopped it when my boy, said that he wanted to "be original". So it ended, every once in a while I try to get the same color on them, and I do say TRY...but life isn't all matched, all perfect, it's messy and tricky. I went from being in the ER with my boy getting 6 stitches on Friday night to him hitting his first home run in baseball within 24 hours...we thank our FATHER for the blessings no matter how they look!

Unknown said...

OH so true. Thanks for the reminder...

Lori said...

I always loved that part in the Velveteen Rabbit. My son is now almost 20, so it has been many years since we've read it. Thank you for sharing that story.

Lori said...

I always loved that part in the Velveteen Rabbit. My son is now almost 20, so it has been many years since we've read it. Thank you for sharing that story.

k and c's mom said...

Loving your real life pictures. This is the most real of all! Thanks for a day brightening post!

Marva said...

Amen!

Shannon said...

Love the post. The dog drinking out of the potty is awesome.
-Shannon in Austin

MEGAN said...

LOVE the candid photos. Those are always my favs. The framed wedding pictures in my house are candids : )