Sunday, March 07, 2010

Lowering

Having a puppy has definitely had me on the floor more. From cleaning up yuckiness to playing, I am spending a lot more time at a lower altitude. In the process, I have rediscovered a truth I once embraced. Parenting is much different when you are eye level with your children. They seem to listen better. I seem to laugh and smile more. We play. We talk. I can see the glimmer in their eyes. They enjoy it--and so do I.

Being eye to eye with the people I love endears us to one another. It is much more intimate and personal than looking down at heads (even though those get closer to me every day!)

When my children were younger, I was much more intentional about this. But like so many other things, this habit got lost somewhere along the way. I didn't even realize it until I started to do it again.

This morning as we were all on the kitchen floor, I was reminded of my Heavenly Father. He understood this concept 2000 years ago. God sent His only Son to lower himself to our level. He, too, grasped the amazing power of being eye level with the ones you love.

And in the same way it did not make Him less God to come down to us, it does not make me less Mom to be on my knees. If anything it makes me more effective. I can stand back up and take authoritative control at any moment...but I find that is not usually necessary. My children respond to loving sacrifice. Our relationship, our history, our trust--not my physical position--have established our roles.

Thank you, God, for your tenderness in giving me little glimpses of your love for me as I parent. Keep my eyes, ears and heart opened for what You want to teach me. Thank you for loving me enough to lower yourself...even to death on a cross.

4 comments:

davec777 said...

This spoke to me this morning - thank you for your willingness to share!

Marva said...

Thank you for the reminder.......as I so needed this. I have been tried this past week, maybe this is just what we needed!
Blessings!!!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture. I hadn't thought of that passage, or motherhood either for that matter, in that context before.

Peter and Nancy said...

I am guilty lately of not getting "on the floor" enough. Thanks for the reminder, and the reason behind it.
Nancy