Sunday, October 18, 2009

When I Grow Up

I have always been a person who looked for examples of who/how I hoped to be in my next phase of life. I don't have 'a hero' or 'an idol' per se, but I prefer to admire multiple women for the different ways they model grace, strength, integrity, passion, love, etc.

This started in high school when I was blessed through the women involved in leading small groups for Young Life, a group called Teen Advisors and my youth group at the First Baptist Church of Columbus, GA. This has rarely involved formal mentoring, but more often their positive examples and godly encouragement as we 'do life' together.

Last night, my husband and I went to Atlanta for a lovely evening of dinner and big band music and dancing. His parents hosted several couples and neighbors to thank them for the care, concern and physical help they provided in the weeks of their displacement and flood recovery. It was a very nice evening of being together in an environment that was a far cry from the muddy, smelly sludge of the post-flood homes that a few of them are still dealing with.

As I interacted with many couples that I have not had much contact with since our wedding festivities, I was struck by such regard for my mother-in-law and her friends. They are beautiful inside and out, full of grace, humor and encouragement. The fruit of the spirit is evident in their lives.

I watched them admiringly on the dance floor with their husbands--recognizing they are wives who each represent 40+ year marriages. They are grandmothers whose eyes twinkle as they discuss their children and grandchildren. They are friends who have seen each other through births, deaths, illness and floods. And for me, last night, they were encouraging Titus women.

3Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.
Titus 2:3-6 NIV

As I look down the barrel at my 35th birthday, I realize I am edging out of preschool Mom into elementary Mom. There are teenaged girls, young unmarried women, newlyweds, moms of infants...all in stages of life where I have been. I am reminded that we are each Titus women to someone. I pray that I may carry that torch with the godliness, strength and dignity of the women before me.


8 comments:

Andria Elizabeth said...

I'm a regular reader of your blog, and I just wanted to delurk myself for a minute and mention that YOU (in so far as I can tell from a blog, haha) are very much one of the people I hope to be when I "grow up". Your blog has been a huge source of encouragement to me in my relationship with Christ. The perfect words to explain this aren't coming to me at the moment, but I appreciate reading your thoughts! Thank you for sharing!

Love Being A Nonny said...

I think I have said this before, but if I have, forgive me. THIS is my favorite post of yours yet. I too want to be a Titus woman. I love how you RECOGNIZE things and apply them. I am now a married woman of 34 years. I want to be an example to others but I also look to others for example. Though you are younger than me by 10 years, your wisdom and desire to follow Jesus point me to the cross. For that, I am grateful. Thank You. angela

S said...

I do believe you are a Titus woman! Words cannot express how much you have taught me by your example. They way you live your life is a huge inspiration to me. God Bless You!

Big Mama said...

I've been having these same thoughts lately as I realize more and more that I'm becoming an older mom and see so many young moms around me.

And by older, I mean more experienced. But, sadly, I'm also older.

Sunni said...

You have just written my heart. We ARE each a Titus 2 woman, no matter our age. I love to read your blog because I have a two year and find so much encouragement in reading tales of a mom who goes before me. There are nights when I am about to lose my cool with Isabella and I recall post that you have written on the very same thing. My husband is also in the med field and it helps to have someone who understands the long hours away from daddy.

Thanks for sharing you life with us!

Amy said...

Excellent. I love the verse...at 36and the mother of toddlers, many of my friends that have children the same age are much younger than me....like in their 20's. However, I love 'em, and I enjoy sharing with them that the 30's decade is best yet.
Amy @balmingilead.typepad.com

The Muncies said...

I read the book Spiritual Mothering this summer and loved it! Based all on this principle from Titus. Very convicting to be that mentor for someone younger and to seek that for yourself in someone older -- both of which could be as formal as a regular weekly meeting or as informal as periodic phone calls checking in.

Automatic7 said...

What a sweet moment. May we always have Titus woman moments in our lives and strive to provide them for others.