Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Things Unseen

One of the reasons Disney is considered so magical is because things seem to 'just happen.' It is exceptionally clean. When a random piece of trash is dropped someone appears within seconds to clean it up. Security is not visible, but you know it is there. No off-duty employees are seen smoking on a break. Characters just pop up, seemingly out of nowhere. Everything seems perfectly effortless. It is the happiest place on Earth because 'work' is not evident.

Visitors get so caught up in the magic of it all that most never pause to think about 'how' it is possible. But there is far more going on than meets the eye. One of the most interesting things I learned last week was about the utilidors at Disney World. There is an entire complex world of tunnels, offices and staging areas going on beyond the surface that few pause to consider.

It is not magic. It is cleverly hidden hard work. Some may think knowing the secret ruins the magic--I think it makes it infinitely more amazing.

I am reminded of the seemingly hidden workings of God. We are reminded throughout Scripture of the unseen world around us.

12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 6:12 (NIV)

It seems freaky and hard to comprehend...but there is clearly more to this world we live in than meets the eye. And like my interest in Disney's inner workings, the truth of ALL that is going on in and around us--unseen and often forgotten about--makes God even more incomprehensible and worthy of our worship and praise.

6 comments:

Jawan said...

Hey JMom,
Just wanted you to know that I enjoyed this post so much that I linked back to you on my own post tonight. Thanks for sharing this site with me...I've always wondered about those tunnel rumors!

-Jawan M.
Columbus, GA

Unknown said...

Wow, so true... we are in a Spiritual Battleground everyday and millions don't even know it. I'm studying the Bible Study by Kay Authur called "Lord, It is Warfare? Teach Me to Stand" and it is all about the spiritual forces going on in this world. Thanks for sharing!

k and c's mom said...

And I am SO glad that I serve a loving God who is in charge of all that is hidden in this world. What a great metaphor.

Love Being A Nonny said...

Amen! Amen! Amen!

deborah said...

It's funny to me that you wrote about this...we took our boys to Disneyland in May and my husband and I were commenting then about the landscaping. You never see people working on it yet it's always so manicured and just beautiful. Together we imagined people working in the wee hours of the morning with big lights and ladders to make it all so perfect and magical; yet all behind the scenes!

The McBrayer family said...

awesome post- Jennifer you have such a gift of linking everyday occurences into learning more about our Savior. I enjoy reading your blog so very much! Hope you and your precious clan are doing well!
Kelli McBrayer (Yancey)