Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Tempted & Tired

Last night we went to the opening night of our area's annual Fair. It is a great event that brings out all kinds of people from surrounding counties. There are 4H competition events a la Charlotte's Web, beauty pagents, cheerleading competition, midway games, rides, a children's area featuring exotic animals...and food. From cajun chips and roasted corn to funnel cakes and footlong dogs fair fare is a key part of the experience.

When I realized we were going to likely miss it because of our trip to Disney I was a little disappointed. As silly as it sounds-- the county fair vs. a trip to Disney--our family enjoys each for different ways and I hated to miss out.

My husband had to work until about 8pm and the opening of the fair was scheduled for 5. I used a couple of hours at the fair as incentive for my children to help me get us packed up and out the door. We decided to have dinner at the fair (delicious but not at all nutricious) while Daddy worked and planned to rendevous to leave town at 8.

We arrived right as the gates were opening. I had given the children a choice or 4 games or an armband for rides. They all chose to play 4 games. I suggested we walk down the midway once to check out all the options and MAKE SURE we wanted to choose games. (Last year had been a fiasco because everyone did not fully understand the implications of their choices and K decided midway to change her choice.)

Because the gates had just opened and most everyone had flocked to food or tickets, we were literally the only people walking down the midway. As the first ones on opening night in a new town, we were fresh meat. Suddenly all of the carnies started calling out to us, "Over here. Look what I got. Every one is a winner."

I couldn't help but glance at my wide eyed children and think: This is what the world is doing and will continue to do the older they get...Worldy pursuits vying for their attentions with promises of how great things will be.

Then the calls got more personal. "Psst, little buddy, don't you want one of these."
"Hey, come over here princess and check out what you can get."
"Little man, hey, don't you want to try shooting a gun."

Then they came after me. "C'mon, Mom, dontcha want to make the kids happy. Give 'em what they want. Make 'em smile."

I was overcome with how vivid of an analogy this was of the world's temptations. My precious little people's eyes were as big as saucers, darting from option to option.

How it drives me to my knees in prayer for the years that are to come!! Fill their hearts with truth, Lord. Empower them with wisdom to quickly spot the lies and then give them courage to flee!

Thankfully, our midway games were over in $20 and 20 minutes. We enjoyed a yummy dinner and about an hour of fun with all the animals. (Which was free and much more entertaining.)

We drove halfway last night, spending the night in South Georgia. This morning we made the rest of our trek and spent the latter half day of our day at Hollywood Studios. Beauty and the Beast, the Muppets' 3D Movie (is there anything cuter than watching kids try to grab the 3D images?) and the Star Wars simulator were the hits of the day. It is HOT and HUMID here! By 6pm we were all pretty beat.

Tomorrow is a LONG, fun day at the Magical Kingdom, so we opted for a low key night. As I type it is 8pm and we are all bathed, in pajamas and 3/5 are asleep! I think I am aiming to be 4th. Good night!

6 comments:

Lori said...

What a great post about temptations! They are everywhere.

I hope you all have a wonderful time at Disney! Keep us posted.

Blessings,
Lori

jessica said...

i would love to hear your opinions, reviews, perspective from your time at Disney with your kids at this age. I even saved your post from a while back when y'all went the first time for future reference when we go. We are hoping/planning to take our kids to Disney in a couple of years around preschool/kindergarden age so i am curious to know what you would do differently from your last visit. Thanks so much and have a magical time :)

Mindy said...

OK?!!? Isn't the drive from Macon to Valdosta the longest stretch of road?!!? Whenever we are headed to Disney, I just feel like I have to stop in Valdosta after making that trek!

I am so excited for you and your kiddo's hope you day at the Magic Kingdom is the best!!!

Pajama Mama said...

I just found you and I am so thankful that God led me here. Your story is an amazing one.

Looking forward to getting to know you and your family.

squirrely said...

Gods hedge of protection is around our kids. I keep telling myself that. Keep enjoying yourself!

The Stokley Family said...

Awesome post! Hope you guys have a blast in Disney!!