Tuesday, October 06, 2009

The Gift

One afternoon in June my husband came home to find a full scale water war going on in our front yard. Unfortunately, he was still on the phone discussing a medical condition with someone when he got out of the car. My hubby grabbed a water gun (bad move: weapon in hand = game on to children) then attempted to retreat while maintaining some degree of professionalism. I managed to snap these pictures before I went and reined K in. Oh, the warped priorities of a blogger...

Because the man on the other end of the phone was D., the father of friends of ours, the snapshot made its way back to him. The intent of passing on the photos was a humorous apology for the chaos he may have heard on the other end of the line.

A few weeks later while in our town visiting his children and grandchildren, D. stopped by the hospital to introduce himself to my husband. It was their first time to meet face to face. He handed my husband a blue envelope and thanked him for his assistance in navigating through a new cancer diagnosis and options for treatment throughout the country.

My husband opened the envelope to find a card with a beautiful note of thanks and a gift certificate for an all-expense paid trip for our family to Disney World. In his note he mentioned that the combination of his renewed perspective while facing a difficult diagnosis and the picture of what my husband sacrifices in order to be available for patients (and in this man's case non-patients) motivated him to give a beautiful gift--TIME together as a family, away from the pager.

When my husband came home that night and handed me the envelope I was floored. Tearfully overwhelmed, our first inclination was to refuse the gift. This is too much. We can't accept this. Doesn't he realize this is just what my husband does? Aren't there people more deserving or more in need of this than us?

The answer is Yes. It is exceedingly generous. There are others more needy and deserving. But he gave it to us, as a rational adult capable of making decisions. This is what he wanted to do. It brought D. joy to give so extravagantly. Who are we to rob him of his joy?

The gift was already paid for. Our refusal to take it would not have restored the sacrifice D. made. So, we are going this week. The timing worked out that D. is actually in the hospital in another state right now recovering from a major surgery, so it is with mixed feelings that we depart. He is fighting a nasty cancer while we are heading to the happiest place on Earth...but we will go and enjoy our trip and send him photos and recaps so he can share in the joy that he has provided.

We would not be taking this trip without the nudge. He planned perks and accommodations that I would have been too fiscally conservative to book. His homemade gift certificate will always be a treasure because I think of him sitting at his computer planning each aspect with joy. We will value this trip infinitely more as a result of the humility it incites each time I think about the beauty of D.'s gift.

As I have pondered these things in my heart for the last couple of months I have found myself wondering why the gift of salvation doesn't leave me in this place. I am not an angel. I have made my share of mistakes. God is constantly at work pointing out areas of my heart that need some attention. But, truthfully, because my testimony is not a dramatic 'plucked from the pit of deep worldly sin' kind of story, I don't always fall flat on my face in appreciation for the unwarranted gift of salvation I have received.

This gift (and its accompanying feelings of humility, gratefulness and overwhelming gratitude) has reminded me that as generous as it is, this is 4 days at an amusement park. My Lord has given me eternity in heaven.

As my children stand in awe this week of the man-made wonder and joy of Disney, I hope to weave in this story of D. and his unbelievable gift...and the symbolism of another eternal gift that also comes disproportionate to our work and with a price that has already been paid...whether or not we choose to accept it.

18 comments:

Whitney said...

What a wonderful gift. Enjoy every minute of it and know that you guys deserve it! D sounds like a wonderful person and I hope he has a speedy recovery.

MamaBear said...

I got tears in my eyes reading this J. Have a wonderful trip and I'll be praying for your family and D's!

Ashley said...

What a neat story and a very sweet gift. Have fun and I know you will share this story with the trio too. Hope you all have fun and that D recovers from his major surgery!

Anonymous said...

I can relate to what you mean about not feeling overwhelming gratitude for my salvation because it happened when I was young and I've never strayed far away. But, sometimes I think about my husband's salvation. He was also saved as a child and when I think about the man I love so deeply and admire as a man of God, I am amazed at what God has done and filled with gratitude. His life could have turned out so differently if it weren't for that day that he made a decision to commit his life to the Lord. Maybe it's a problem of self-value or something, but if I think of what God has done for others in my life, I get that overwhelming gratitude you're talking about.

I hope you have an excellent vacation. And what a great analogy of the free gift of heaven for your kiddos.

Traci said...

Wow- what a neat situation. Have fun and enjoy your time!

Mindy said...

WOW! I sit in tears over something so wonderfully selfless!!!! I so hope that you and your family have an amazing time at Disney.
Also, someone gave me a gift today, which isn't a trip to Disney, but for me reminded me of Jesus' love. A gift I don't deserve and could never ask for! Thank you for reminding me even more that God's salvation is that for me, too!
Dear Friend, I hope your trip to Disney is as Magical as can be!!!!
in HIM -
Mindy

MEGAN said...

We don't deserve God's love or grace, and we can't do anything worth of HIS gifts, he just FREELY gives! Looks like this man D. has been blessed by our Heavenly Father as well. Enjoy your trip, have a wonderful time, making wonderful, new family memories.

squirrely said...

Enjoy your time together. Can't wait to see the pics and hear about sharing Gods gift.

The Adairsville Triangle said...

I love this story but would add you guys so deserve it! I love that your husband is a Godly doctor that realizes he is not the fix all and I realize how wore out my ONE 5 year old child makes me and you do it x3..the noise level alone wins you something..

Still my heroes..have fun!

Kris said...

Oh, this is beautiful, both the story and your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful......

k and c's mom said...

A beautiful gift that your children will remember all their lives. You are so wise to weave in the picture this paints of God's heart for us all.
Praying for D; hoping everyone that reads this post will do the same.

Liz said...

What a beautiful gift!!!!

Kodi said...

I am a frequent reader and a rare commenter, but tonight I just have to say:

It is people like YOU and D that make me believe that God is still at work in our world. Blogging might be a silly little hobby to some, but almost daily God uses you to speak to me.

Thank you.

Young Creations said...

What a great story. Enjoy.
Lauren

Karen in VT said...

I am a frequent reader but rare commenter. What a beautiful gift that D is giving and I'm quite sure that he is receiving great joy in doing so. I also want to say 'thank you' for drawing the wonderful and thought provoking parallels between everyday situations and our relationship with our heavenly father...you do so in such a seamless and natural way that I'm left thinking, "How didn't I see that before?" So, thank you, and have a wonderful vacation.

Karen

Robin said...

We missed you this AM! What an awesome story about the birth of that trip! Have a blessed time of R&R...You guys truly deserve it.
-R

Keri said...

I've been super-busy lately, and right now I'm grabbing the chance to catch up with my usual blog reading, and...wow. As many others have stated, I, too, was fighting back tears as I read this post. Wow. What else is there to say??

Except this: You brought the post around to such an important and relevant point. Like you, I've often wondered why I'm not constantly overwhelmed by The Greatest Gift of All. I wish I was. I pray I might one day be in that place of intense gratitude all day, every day.

Thank you for starting my blog catch-up session so beautifully this morning! (And now I'm on to see what you all did at Disney World! :-) )