Tuesday, October 20, 2009

30 Something

Today marks my 35th trip around the sun. Say what you will about the facebook phenomenon, but the very best thing about it is your birthday. Because there is a tickler reminding all of your friends that it is your special day, well wishes come pouring in from various parts of your life. I got a kick out of a couple of the messages today from people I haven't seen in over 20 years. One in particular spoke of my 'Betty Boop sweatshirt and leggings' circa 1985. I haven't even thought about that outfit in decades..and yet, to Cynthia, it is how I am frozen in her mind. I had an over permed bob and loved to wear folded down ruffle socks with my tennis shoes because I had seen something like it in a ZZ Top video.

Various people from my past used nicknames that take me right back to certain periods of my life, Doodle Bug , Youngie, JY. Their memories of my outfits would range from jeans that were way too baggy and pin rolled at the ankle to jeans that were a bit too tight thanks to my freshman 15 at Alabama.

Those faces represent a composite of my days in Alabama, Georgia and Virginia, work friends, school friends and people I met through Young Life or theater. Some knew me with long straight hair others with a short curly Aussie Scrunch Bob. In the minds of some I drive a Honda Accord as a constantly road tripping single girl...to others I have always been a mother of triplets in a beaten up Yukon.

Would those people from way back be surprised to know that I am grace professing Christ follower? Did they have unfortunate experiences with me in particularly zealous seasons of my life? Do they remember me as judgmental? Loud? Loving and kind? Or do they remember me from times when I was intent on proving to the world that I was still 'fun' and they couldn't just peg me a good girl and move on....naval ring simply for the shock factor, anyone?

The mosaic of faces that have greeted me with well wishes today represent so many different seasons and places...some I embrace more readily than others, but they are all part of the testimony God is building in my life.

Had you asked me a decade ago about 35, I would have thought of this age as being kind of 'stuck.' My twenty-something self would have been intimidated at the thought of children, marriage, mortgage, carpooling, homework, committees and the like. But I had it all wrong.

All of those other chapters have been necessary for this...la bella vida...the beautiful life. Yes, I drive a complete Mom-mobile full of crumbs and lost toys. I rarely look that pulled together because getting everyone else together and out the door leaves little time for me to primp. Some days I seem too serious and/or busy. I get frustrated about little things that don't really matter more often than I should...

But, don't be deceived. If you were to glimpse into this 35 year old heart you would find contentment, joy, peace and gratitude. This is the skin God gave me (freckled and sun damaged as it may be), and I am quite comfy in it. I feel loved, accepted and vital. I am enjoying this place and the callings that have come with it.

Thank you, God, for all that you have entrusted to me thus far. The experiences I struggled to understand, the seasons I fumbled through, the people you brought into and out of my life every step of the way so far. There is a godly thread, weaving this live together.

I pray that I may be found as a faithful steward. I cannot wait to see where we are headed next!

25 comments:

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday, I hope you have a had a great day! You are so right about the birthday wishes, I love Facebook. Recently, my daughter broke her arm and I updated my "status" from CHOA. It was so fun to read all of the well wishes and tell my children how I knew each person and from what era of my life they were from! We all enjoyed the little trip dowm memory lane. Cheers to next year, make it a great one!

Michelle

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Happy, happy birthday, J. You are so right. It might seem old to someone who's 21, but 35 years of life is a huge gift. You are beautiful. Enjoy your special day. There are so many people who are blessed because God made you.

dee said...

Happy Birthday!

Traci said...

Happy Birthday! Hope it was wonderful!

HAPTeach said...

Happy Birthday!

Bill and Jenn said...

Happy Birthday!
And yet another reason that I think we might be friends if our "real" lives ever crossed-- My birthday is Thursday! :) We could be birthday buddies celebrating God's many blessings in our lives together. :)

Hope your day is overflowing with all that He has blessed you with....
Enjoy!
~Jenn

Kylie and crew. said...

Happy Birthday!! I'm glad you were born!

elizabeth said...

Loved this post. I would love to see a picture of the "Aussie Scrunch Bob"...Hilarious. I used that purple stuff too! :) Hope your day was wonderful.

Elizabeth

Malu said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !! "count your blessings each one and you may be surprised to see what God has done"
GOD bless you each day of the new year with wisdom, health,joy and good examples to raise your beautiful family

Malu

Sunni said...

Happy Birthday!

Ashley said...

As I approach the ending of the 20's and realize my thirties are in the near horizon you have given me a new hope. Hope you birthday was fun and that you felt special and loved! Blessings from Texas!

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday! Hope it's wonderful!!

Btw, thanks for the preschool devotion suggestion. I ordered the deluxe edition of Every Story Whispers His Name (I think that is the correct name of it). My girls LOVE it!! I also ordered a "Daily Devotion for Preschoolers" and we do it at supper time and the longer one at bed time. You are such an encourement to me!

Love Being A Nonny said...

I know your birthday was wonderful! You are blessed.

The Stokley Family said...

Happy Birthday!! I hope you had a great day!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I so agree about the facebook stuff. It's interesting to see people from all aspects and eras of life in one place.

Mom of Eleven said...

Awesome! Happy, Happy day to you!
w

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful post! And I have to agree...my late thirties are nowhere near as well coiffed, made-up slender and well dressed as my late twenties were...but they are so much more fulfilling, filled full of the things that truly matter!

Happy birthday to you!

smcvicker said...

I love the way you write! You write with such honesty which makes it very easy to be able to relate. Happy Birthday!

Debra said...

Happy Birthday, Jennifer!! Guess what, it's my b-day too! Don't you love being born in October? It is just so unbelievably beautiful!! I enjoy your blog and your sweet reflections. Have a great day!

Mindy said...

Hope you had a wonderful birthday!!!!!
I so enjoy reading your blog. You give me such encouragement!

in HIM -
Mindy

Mary Lou said...

Many happy returns. I pray you had a beautiful day, for you have a beautiful heart. Your heart shows in the lives of your children and all that you write about Him. Your entire family and all of us in blogland are blessed because you were born thirty five years ago today..God grant you many more years to live for Him. Blessings. Proverbs 31:28-30

Jill said...

Happy (belated) birthday! I am sure your day was very special and I hope your year ahead is blessed in many, many ways.

Liz said...

I love facebook, too! Hunt me down & friend request me! I'd love to see you on there!

Unknown said...

My birthday is 10/20 as well. I totally agree with the face book comments. It was so much fun reading the bday wishes from friends who were involved in different stages of my life!
I love your blog and how you share your life with us.
Belated birthday blessings to you!

Ladies Chat said...

Jennifer - I, too, share the 10/20 birthday! I turned 42, but still have young kiddos - my youngest 2 are 5 years and 5 weeks. I found your blog after seeing it mentioned on Hometown Headlines. I have enjoyed being a lurker who reads daily. Thanks for sharing so much of yourself. You reach so many of us with your candor. Jo Ann