Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Sparrow and The Wristwatch

As I have mentioned I am currently participating in Beth Moore's Esther Bible Study. I am only working on week three and already God has used it to remind me of some powerful truths. Tonight as I was doing some of the homework I came across a quote I loved:

"I don't know exactly how God perfects plans that seem so bleak to us in the process, but these two things I know: He never takes his eyes off us OR the clock that is ticking over us...God loves you so. He is hard at work in your life, and the same eye that is on the sparrow is on the wristwatch."- Beth Moore(page 71)

I have been feeling heavy lately. Our friends, the Sweeneys, are waiting for word on when they can proceed with treatment for his stage IV melanoma. The diagnosis indicates urgency, but the process is frustratingly long.

A young mother I know is dealing with a recurrence of lymphoma. She has two children under the age of 4--as well as a husband, family and friends who love her dearly.

Girls I am burdened for at the home seem to be farther away from receiving God's love than they were a year ago. Meanwhile, this distance is leading them to poor decisions that will ultimately make their lives even more complicated and the pit they are in even deeper.

Despite bathing the decision in prayer and feeling confident God led our decision, the house we moved from 31 months ago is STILL on the market.

I believe that God is Sovereign--but sometimes I can't help but wonder if He has lost track of time. I find myself impatiently tapping my foot..."HELLLOOO, God, I know you are busy, but can we get you over here for a minute?"

I, unfortunately fall into the trap of thinking of God as too much like me...a harried parent with multiple children all fighting for my attention. In my frazzled humanity I shout, "Wait a minute and let me help your brother/sister. I'll be there as soon as I can."

This is a terribly inaccurate view of the God of the Universe. He can keep it all spinning. He can be everywhere at once...including the future. He wrote the story. He knows how it will all end.

I cannot help but think of Lazarus' sisters frustrated that Jesus didn't arrive in time-- or Jairus, heartbroken that Jesus made it to his home after his daughter was already dead. He is the God of Eternity. He invented time. He is not constrained by it, not does He ever lose track of it.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I needed to be reminded of that tonight.

12 comments:

davec777 said...

Hey -

I just wanted to leave some encouragement from God's word that I heard this weekend at our women's retreat. God is good. God is good to me. God is good to me right now. Even though our circumstances don't seem to support this, we know this is true because it is in His word. HUGS!

Clementsville: Population of 5! said...

God is Good! He is ALWAYS there for us along with everyone else! Keep your chin up and things will get better! Just know that you are not the only one right now going through difficult times, I sure am but I seem so much closer to HIM!!!

HUGS!

Bailey's Leaf said...

God does have plans for all of us. I know so many times that I've wanted things to go my way (not necessarily out of complete selfishness, but out of ease and of cure to folks that are hurting or ill.) My husband and I lump those items into a category of "we didn't sign up for." However, so often at the other end, we see that there are so many things that God did teach us. Patience, something I don't corner the market on by any stretch, is something that God is teaching me all. the. time.

Breathe deeply, my friend. God is there, as I know you know He is. Answers will be had, just unfortunately not in the time frame we would wish for them to be. It is so hard to watch friends and family suffer. Continue giving them in prayer as you have. There will be answers in time.

Sara said...

J, thank you. I so needed to read this tonight. I was just sitting here wallowing in my sorrow about a very serious situation that God has been seemingly silent on for 3+ years...and it only gets worse. My walk with Him has never been closer, yet I find it hard to understand WHEN He is going to intervene. I just have to make it an act of my will DAILY to trust Him. He knows what He's doing, even when I can't see it.

Jennifer said...

Just a quick PS. After I read the first three comments, I got worried that people would misread this post and gather that I was depressed. We are remarkably peaceful in the storm (Thanks be to God)...just very aware that this world has much trouble!

I heard a great sermon online a couple of days ago that talked about the importance of remaining focussed on WHO our hope is in, not just WHAT weare hoping for.

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

Amen! And I had the priveledge of participating in that Bible Study last spring and it is wonderful and life changing! Thanks for the great reminder tonight!

Amy said...

I needed that tonight. And I was touched by that same quote from Beth Moore's Esther study as well when I did it several months ago. I have underlined and highlighted it.
Thank you for the reminder.
Amy@balmingilead.typepad.com

Love Being A Nonny said...

So glad HE doesn't lose track of time............

Kelly said...

Amen. me, too. Thanks for this.

storey said...

thank you! its been almost exactly 3 years since i was in colorado for my first young life international stuff...and now, i think i will be leaving in january. its so obvious that God has me right where He wants me now and had lots to teach me in the past 3 years and especially the last year, but 3 years still makes me weary! trusting in His timing and His knowledge is the only way!

S said...

Thanks for this reminder. It comes at a perfect time for me...when I've just been asking God "WHEN??". I love Beth Moore too. She always puts a spin on things that tug at my heart.

Kate Geisen said...

Our church has just had a series on this very topic...the waiting. The main gist was to keep your eyes on Whom you're waiting, not the what you're waiting for...and it sounds like you're there. The Esther study was fabulous. I did it last spring. I know you'll continue to find great truth and comfort in it.